Pit Road Contact Ruins Keselowski's Day at Martinsville
March 31, 2014
· Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion team started Sunday’s STP 500 from the 14th position based on Friday’s qualifying performance.
· The race began on schedule after Saturday’s practice sessions were rained out and snow flurries fell early on race day morning.
· Keselowski reported early in the race that the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford was handling a little loose while entering and exiting the Martinsville Speedway corners.
· At lap 40, a NASCAR-mandated competition caution brought out the yellow flag. When the pit lane opened at lap 43, Keselowski brought his Ford Fusion in for service and adjustments.
· As the No. 2 Miller Lite machine was exiting the pits it was involved a three-car accident that resulted in significant front-end damage.
· At lap 45, Keselowski nursed the car around the track and back to pit lane where the Team Penske crew determined that the damage needed a trip to the garage for repairs.
· The Miller Lite crew went to work removing the damaged front bodywork as well as replacing a tie-rod and steering arm. While the team made quick work of the repairs, the Miller Lite Ford lost 31 laps to the leaders while in the garage.
· Keselowski raced hard for the balance of the event and even though the No. 2 Ford was missing its front bodywork, the veteran driver posted some of the fastest laps on the track.
· The checkered flag flew with the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford scored 38th in the running order. With the result, Keselowski dropped to seventh in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
BRAD KESELOWSKI, NO. 2 MILLER LITE FORD
“The replay shows it. We jumbled up on pit road and (Kurt Busch) just drove right through me and ruined our day. We probably had a race-winning car and it doesn’t matter. That’s the way it goes. It is unfortunate, especially since we had a lot of speed in our Ford today. Even without the front bodywork we turned quite a few fast laps. We’ll move on.”
WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT THE TEAM THAT THE CREW WAS ABLE TO GET YOU BACK OUT ON TRACK?
“The Miller Lite guys did a great job to get us back to the garage and make repairs so we could get back on track. The team gave us a fast car all weekend and it just shows how strong we were even with the damage that the car was still fast.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.