Keselowski Ends 2013 With a Victory at Homestead
November 17, 2013THE RACE
Ford EcoBoost 300 at Homestead-Miami
Saturday, November 16, 2013
The No. 48 Discount Tire Ford
Driven By: Brad Keselowski
Starting Position: 3
Finish Position: 1
Driver's Points Position: 1
THE RACE REVIEW
• Brad Keselowski – making his first career start in the No. 48 Ford Mustang – qualified third for Saturday’s Ford EcoBoost 300, the season finale for the NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS).
• As the race began, Keselowski radioed to crew chief Paul Wolfe that he needed help with the front-end of his Discount Tire machine as he was too tight when going to the throttle.
• Following the first pit stop of the day the No. 48 Ford came alive as Keselowski sliced his way through the field to take the lead for the first time at lap 66.
• A lap 121 caution period brought most of the field down pit road, but Wolfe elected to keep Keselowski on the racing surface to save a set of Goodyear radials for later in the event. As a result, Keselowski restarted the race from the top spot, but lost several positions to cars that had fresher rubber.
• The call paid off as a lap 178 caution allowed Keselowski to bring the Discount Tire Ford down pit road fresh tires when many other competitors were out of tires.
• After restarting from the 13th position at lap 183, Keselowski’s run toward the front was hampered by a long caution period at lap 184. When the race resumed, Keselowski restarted in the 10th position with just five laps remaining, yet he was able to quickly move to the front of the field to secure his seventh NNS win of the season.
• The win – his 27th career NNS victory – helped secure the 2013 NNS manufacturer’s title for Ford Racing on Ford Championship Weekend.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
NO. 48 AUTOZONE FORD
TALK ABOUT YOUR LATE RACE PUSH FOR THE WIN.
“It was just good racing out here tonight. We had a really good Discount Tire Ford Mustang. We were going to have a shot to win it without taking tires but it was going to be difficult. The 32 was awesome, he ran a great race today. That late race restart was key. We came in and put tires on with 20 to go and that yellow was out for 14 or 15 laps and I didn’t think we were going to have a shot at it but we got the right restart and made our way through. I am going to have to watch the in car camera because that was one hell of a ride for 10 laps.”
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO HELP SECURE THE NATIONWIDE SERIES OWNER’S TITLE FOR PENSKE RACING?
“I think that’s something that can’t be understated, and then for the 22 team we came up a bit short in 2010 on the owner’s championship and that’s something that was kind of left open on the RP bucket list, so it was nice to check that one off for him and get him another leather jacket this year. I’m proud of that and proud of the effort not just tonight but all year long for everybody and from everybody at Penske Racing.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.