Keselowski Finishes 11th in AdvoCare 500 at Phoenix
November 11, 2013THE RACE
AdvoCare 500 at Phoenix International Raceway (one-mile oval, Avondale, Ariz.)
Sunday, November 10, 2013
The No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion
Driven By: Brad Keselowsk
Starting Position: 12
Finish Position: 11
Driver's Points Position: 14
THE RACE REVIEW
· Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion team started the AdvoCare 500 from the 12th position on Sunday afternoon.
· Despite a Ford Fusion that was loose-handling at the start of the race, Keselowski was able to turn some of the fastest laps of any competitor as he moved up to the eighth position by the first caution period at lap 50.
· Following a two-tire pit stop under the yellow flag, Keselowski told the Miller Lite team he needed rear stability and better forward drive to be able to race to the front of the field.
· Crew chief Paul Wolfe called for another two-tire pit stop at lap 101. Thanks to fast work by the Miller Lite pit crew, Keselowski restarted the race from the second position at lap 106.
· The reigning NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion was able to make his way around the No. 5 car of Kasey Kahne on a lap 121 restart to take his only lead of the race. He paced the field for 27 laps.
· Following the third pit stop of the day, Keselowski restarted from the 14th position at lap 159. He was able to make his way up to second place but he eventually settled into the fifth position.
· When the final caution flag of the day was displayed at lap 282, Keselowski elected to give up his sixth-place position for a two-tire pit stop in hopes that the fresh Goodyear rubber would allow him to move back to the front of the field. However, he could not maneuver his way past the cars in front of him and he crossed the finish line in the 11th position.
· With the result, Keselowski maintained his 14th-place position in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver standings with one race remaining in the season.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
HOW CAN YOU BEST DESCRIBE YOUR RACE AT PHOENIX TODAY?
“We had a decent Miller Lite Ford Fusion today, but we were definitely lacking speed compared to the top three to five cars. Tires didn’t seem to play into the strategy at all and we were able to stay up towards the front with a couple of two-tire stops early in the race. After we got back in the pack we were able to pass some cars but couldn’t stay up there. I don’t think we had a four-tire pit stop all day, which you don’t see very often. I’m proud of the effort by everyone. We just needed a little more speed today.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.