Hornish Hangs on to Finish 17th in Kansas Lottery 300
October 6, 2013THE RACE
Kansas Lottery 300 at Kansas Speedway (1.5-mile oval, Kansas City, Kan.)
Saturday, October 5, 2013
The No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang
Driven By Sam Hornish Jr.
Starting Position: 15
Finish Position 17
Driver's Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· Hornish started the 200-lap event from the 15th position on the grid based on his Saturday morning qualify effort.
· On the first lap of the race, Hornish lost a couple positions as he was bogged down in traffic. While working with a Mustang that was free on corner entry, tight in the center and then free on corner exit, he would make his way up to the 13th position at Lap 25 before a NASCAR-mandated competition caution.
· At Lap 27, Hornish brought the Alliance Truck Parts Ford to the pits for two right-side tires, and a track bar adjustment to improve the handling of the No. 12 machine.
· Over the next 60 laps, Hornish would make his way as high as sixth in the running order as he made up positions during two restarts while battling his way through traffic.
· At Lap 87, the Alliance Truck Parts Ford made a green-flag pit stop for four tires, and further adjustments to improve the handling of the car. A caution was displayed three laps later which resulted in the No. 12 machine losing a lap and several positions thought they did receive the “wave around” to get back on the lead lap before the green flag restarted the action
· Now running in the 19th position, Hornish went to work making his way up to ninth-place by Lap 116 when the seventh caution of the day was displayed. At this point, the Penske Racing team changed two tires and made an air pressure adjustment. Hornish would take the green flag scored seventh in the running order.
· Hornish would run as high as fourth-place before making slight contact with the wall at Lap 154. The No. 12 machine sustained moderate damage to the right-rear of the car as a result. However, he was able to keep his wounded machine in action.
· A late-race caution at Lap 187 gave the No. 12 crew the chance to work on the Penske Ford. Hornish would hang on to finish 17th on the day.
· The outcome resulted in Hornish and the No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford team dropping to second-place in the championship battle, now trailing Austin Dillon by eight points.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
SAM HORNISH JR., NO. 12 ALLIANCE TRUCK PARTS FORD
"We got cautions when we didn’t need them and didn’t get any when we did need them. Our Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang was good, and we worked our way to the front a couple of times. Whether it was somebody spinning coming off pit road that put us a lap down, then we took the wave around to get back up there. It was one of those days. We were racing hard at the end, and we freed up the car a little too much. I asked them to free it up and then I ended up getting into the wall because of it. That is my bad. It could have been a lot worse than what it was."
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.