Penske Racing Kansas Lottery 300 Race Preview
October 1, 2013
Kansas Lottery 300
Saturday, October 5, 2013
Friday - Practice 2:00pm FoxSports
Practice 3:30pm FoxSports
Saturday - Kansas Lottery 300 3:30pm ESPN
Saturday - Kansas Lottery 300 3:00pm MRN
No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang
Driver: Sam Hornish Jr.
No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Driver: Brad Keselowski
THE NEWS & NOTES
No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford
• PERCARIOUSLY PERCHED: Leading the Nationwide Series standings for the seventh consecutive week, and the 14th time overall, Hornish has occupied the top spot for half of the 2013 season. He currently holds a four-point advantage over Austin Dillon.
• THREE 14 AND WON: Hornish has 14 career starts in three different series at Kansas (seven IZOD IndyCar Series, six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and one NASCAR Nationwide Series). He won the 2006 IndyCar race leading 149 of 200 laps.
• CLOSEST TO HOME: Mechanic Ryan Tschudi, who has been with Hornish since he came to NASCAR, hails from nearby Creighton, Mo.
• FLY FOR A TIRE GUY: No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Tire Specialist, Scott Blackburn, will be competing in the Second Annual Goodyear Tire Specialist competition this weekend at Kansas Speedway. It will be Blackburn's first time competing in the event.
• TWO LOOKING FOR THREE: Crew chief Greg Erwin owns two victories as a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series crew chief as he guided Ford Racing teammate, Greg Biffle to victory there in 2007 and 2010.
THE Q & A
SAM HORNISH JR., NO. 12 ALLIANCE TRUCK PARTS FORD MUSTANG
HOW ARE YOU FEELING HEADING INTO THIS RACE?
"Kansas is one of the tracks that we have run better than we have finished. It has changed a lot over the years, and with the resurfacing they did there last year it is fast. This weekend is going to be a good one for us as our intermediate track program has been solid this year, and our Alliance Truck Parts Ford has shown consistent speed. We know what we have to work on, and we plan on making the most of it come Saturday. We are coming down the stretch for the championship and every position counts."
GREG ERWIN, NO. 12 ALLIANCE TRUCK PARTS FORD CREW CHIEF
WHAT DOES KANSAS BRING TO MIND?
"I like Kansas. It is a place that has been good to me. The facility is nice, and the fans are enthusiastic. I expect this race to be tough. The repave has made this a exceptionally smooth and fast track. Track position will be important so we will do our best to qualify up front - we've been qualifying well this season. This race is crucial in terms of the championship standings, and we know what we need to do. This weekend I expect the Alliance Truck Parts Ford to finish up front."
THE NEWS & NOTES
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford
• TRAIN KEEPS ROLLING: With Joey Logano's win last weekend at Dover, the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang team has now won a total of 11 races in 2013, a Penske Racing record. The team currently holds a 34-point lead in the NASCAR Nationwide Series owner's point standings.
• FORMER WINNER: Keselowski dominated the NNS field in the 2011 Kansas Lottery 300, leading a total of 173 of the 200 laps for a 2.8-second margin of victory.
• ENTERING A NEW MARKET: A win in Kansas would mean a great deal for Discount Tire as it is a new territory for the world's largest tire retailer.
• KANSAS NATIVE: Dylan Dowell, front tire carrier for the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford team, hails from Fowler, KS.
• 25 AND COUNTING: Keselowski's win at Watkins Glen International last month gives him 25 career NASCAR Nationwide Series victories, which places him by himself in eighth-place on the all-time list.
THE Q & A
BRAD KESELOWSKI, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD MUSTANG
YOU ARE GOING FOR THREE WINS IN A ROW, BY THREE DIFFERENT DRIVERS, IN THE SAME CAR. PRESSURE?
"There may be a little bit of pressure to win this weekend. You sure don't want to be the driver to break up a winning streak! I know that Jeremy (Bullins, crew chief) and the Discount Tire Ford guys will roll out a fast car this weekend. It really is amazing what they have been able to do this year. Kansas has always been a good track for me. When you add all of that up you have a recipe for a pretty successful weekend."
JEREMY BULLINS, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD CREW CHIEF
Back to previous page.
ANOTHER RACE, ANOTHER DRIVER. WHAT ARE YOUR EXPECTATIONS FOR KANSAS?
"We're excited to head to Kansas with a brand new Discount Tire Mustang for Brad this weekend. Coming off a couple of wins we feel like the momentum is certainly a positive for us right now. We need to keep that rolling to accomplish our goal of the Nationwide Series owner's title. It would mean a lot to Brad and all of us to be able to make that happen for Mr. Penske. We're going to give it our all the next 5 races and see where that stacks up."
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.