Penske Racing 5-Hour Energy 200 Race Preview
September 24, 2013
5-Hour Energy 200 Benefitting Living Beyond Breast Cancer
Dover International Speedway
Saturday, September 28, 2013
Friday - Practice 12:30pm ET (FoxSports1)
Saturday - Qualifying 12:00pm ET (FoxSports2)
Saturday - Race 3:30pm ET (ESPN)
Race 3:00pm ET (MRN & SiriusXM)
No. 12 Snap-on Ford Mustang
Driver: Sam Hornish Jr.
No. 22 Hertz Ford Mustang
Driver: Joey Logano
THE NEWS & NOTES
No. 12 Snap-on Ford
• MAJORITY HOLDER: Through 27 events in the 2013 season, Hornish has now led the NASCAR Nationwide Series standings for a total of 14 races. This is his second-longest reign in the top spot as this is his sixth-consecutive week in first place. The veteran driver opened the season with a seven-week stretch at the lead.
• SEVEN OF 10 TOP-FOUR FINISHES: Over the last 10 Nationwide Series races, Hornish has finished in the top-four seven times. During that same span, he has a 5.5 average start and a 7.1 average finish.
• THIRD TIME'S A CHARM: This weekend, long-time Penske Racing partner, Snap-on will make its third appearance of the 2013 Nationwide Series season as the primary sponsor of the No. 12 Penske Ford.
• MAKING TIME FOR OUR TROOPS: As he makes his way to the Monster Mile, Hornish will spend the afternoon visiting our troops at Walter Reed National Medical Center in Bethesda, Md. on Wednesday. And then on Friday, Hornish will stop by Dover Air Force Base. He will sign autographs, and greet service members and their families from 7:00 - 8:00 pm ET.
• BOX TOP WINNER: Crew chief, Greg Erwin knows what it takes to finish first at the "Monster Mile." He earned a Cup series victory there in September 2008 as the crew chief for fellow Ford Racing driver, Greg Biffle.
THE Q & A
SAM HORNISH JR., NO. 12 SNAP-ON FORD
THE MONSTER MILE IS A NOTORIOUSLY TOUGH TRACK. WHAT IS THE KEY TO WINNING HERE?
"In a word, I'd say discipline. This place requires discipline. You have to be focused, patient and methodical. Dover is another one of the circuits that I truly enjoy, and we run much better there than our results suggest. Our Snap-on Ford has been fast, and our Penske Racing crew has been executing well. We have been running in the top-five a lot lately, and we are well positioned to finish up front this weekend. We have been focused on consistency, and it has shown in our results. The season is winding down, but we still have a lot of racing in front of us. We are going to make the most of this one."
GREG ERWIN, CREW CHIEF NO.12 SNAP-ON FORD
WHAT MAKES DOVER A MONSTER?
"Dover is a one-off type track. It doesn't have any peers in terms of similar tracks. It is smaller and different shaped than the intermediates. The surface makes it unique as well. So the information we collect from all the other tracks doesn't apply here. Having said that, we feel as we are a little smarter than we were the last time we were here. The No. 12 Snap-on pit crew has made great strides and has been remarkably consistent. Sam and I have also improved our communications. All of these factors will serve us well as we look to make the best of this weekend."
THE NEWS & NOTES
No. 22 Hertz Ford
• "HERTZ SO GOOD" IN V-LANE: The Hertz Corporation, one of the world's leading car rental and transportation companies and a first- year sponsor with Penske Racing, will return to the side of the No. 22 Ford Mustang this week at Dover. And that could spell big problems for the competition. Hertz has adorned the side of the No. 22 five previous races this season. And of those five, four times the car has made it to Victory Lane. Joey Logano took the Hertz Mustang to Victory Lane at Dover and Chicago, while Brad Keselowski won with Hertz at both Watkins Glen and Richmond.
• LOOKING FOR ANOTHER SEASON SWEEP: Logano took the checkers in the spring race at Dover International Speedway, giving him his third-consecutive NASCAR Nationwide Series win at the track. Logano will now be looking for the season sweep at Dover for the second-straight year after winning both races at the track last season. The four-straight wins at one track would be a career-high for Logano, who previously won three-straight races at Kentucky Speedway from 2008-2010.
• BUILDING POINTS LEAD: Thanks to Ryan Blaney's first-career Nationwide Series win at Kentucky Speedway last weekend, the No. 22 team was able to build their points lead in the NASCAR Nationwide Series Owner's Championship to 23 points over the No. 54 team for Joe Gibbs Racing. Should the No. 22 win the Owner's Championship, it would be the third Owner's Championship that Logano has been involved in. He won the Owner's Championship previously with Joe Gibbs Racing in both 2008 and 2012.
• INTERESTING NUMBERS: A fun numbers game when looking at Logano's career finishes at Dover - since 2009, Logano has only finished in three different positions. He finished second in 2009 and the first race in 2010. He finished 13th in both races in 2011. And he's finished first in the last three races.
THE Q & A
JOEY LOGANO, NO. 22 HERTZ FORD
HOW GREAT WOULD IT BE TO WIN YOUR FOURTH-STRAIGHT NNS RACE AT DOVER?
"That's the goal for the weekend. Every weekend, we want to go out there and win the race. And I think we have a great shot to do it at Dover. Jeremy (Bullins) and I will have the notes from the spring race to go off of and we are taking a new car. But to think that you can win three-straight and even four-straight races at a track is pretty freaking cool. I really want to go out there and make it happen this weekend. Dover is a track that suits my driving style and it's one of my favorite places we race, so I'd love to have a fourth Miles the Monster. I want to build a little Miles family."
HOW IMPORTANT IS THE OWNER'S CHAMPIONSHIP?
Back to previous page.
"I've heard a lot of people trying to downplay it and say it isn't that important. But there are 100-plus guys back at the Penske Racing shop that feel it's pretty important. If you can't go for the driver's championship, you want that Owner's Championship. I've been fortunate enough to be a part of a couple of them and it's really important - to sponsors, to the guys that travel and to the guys that build the cars at the shop. So that's what we are going after."
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.