Logano Recovers from One-Lap Deficet to Finish 14th
September 23, 2013THE RACE
Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (1.058-mile oval, Loudon, N.H.)
Sunday, September 22, 2013
The No. 22 Shell Pennzoil Ford Fusion
Driven By Joey Logano
Start Position: 6
Finish Position: 14
Current Driver's Points Position: 12
THE RACE REVIEW
· Logano earned a bonus championship point when he led lap 113.
· Unfortunately, a long pit stop under green-flag conditions cost Logano several positions as he fell a lap down to 23rd place. He was able to race his way back onto the lead lap and eventually back to the 14th position.
· As the race began to wind down, Logano once again took four tires on a stop when several others took two. This resulted in restarting the race from 20th place with less than 50 laps to go.
· Despite the challenging track position, Logano was able to race his way as high as 12th before falling back to the 14th position at the finish.
· With the 14th-place result, Logano remains 12th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings with two races of the Chase now complete.
· The finish marked Logano’s seventh top-15 result in 11 starts at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (NHMS), site of his first career Sprint Cup Series win back in 2009.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
TALK ABOUT YOUR RACE AND WHAT CHALLENGES DID YOU FACE IN TRAFFIC TODAY?
“This is Loudon for me. It was nothing different. It’s just such a tricky race track to get around. At times we had a top-seven or eighth-place car, and I think we did even at the end of the race, but we took four (tires) there at the end because when we took two earlier we were really slow. So we thought we would be on the aggressive side instead of being on the defense side. Anytime you’re on defense you have the chance of getting wrecked and we’d rather be aggressive and passing cars. I didn’t have as good of a last restart as I needed. I got passed by a couple and passed about three instead, so you had to be in the right lane on that last restart to get a few more and we probably could have finished in the top 10 today. But it’s just so hard to pass. It is the hardest race track in the world to pass.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.