Logano Scores a Top-6 in Great Clips-Grit Chips 300
September 1, 2013THE RACE
Great Clips-Grit Chips 300 at Atlanta Motor Speedway (1.5- mile speedway, Hampton, GA.)
August 31, 2013
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Driven By Joey Logano
Start Position: 16
Finish Position: 6
Current Owner's Points Position: 1
THE RACE REVIEW
· After struggling with an extremely tight racecar, Joey Logano and the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang qualified 16th for Saturday night’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
· On a track that is rough, taking care of the tires would be the key all night long. Logano would do that early in the 195-lap event, but was still able to move steadily forward, racing into the top-10 in 20 laps and the top-five in 40 laps.
· Once he got into the top-five, Logano would set his sights on the race leaders. Logano moved into the top-three, despite the fact that the car was still extremely tight.
· On lap 86, Logano blew a right front tire while running second and chasing down the leader. He was able to get to pit road under green. As the upcoming green-flag pit stops worked their way out, Logano again found himself running second, despite a heavily damaged car.
· During a caution with less than 10 laps to go, Logano would find himself restarting the race second and on the outside of the leader. As the green flew, Logano spun his tires, losing a ton of track position. By the time he got the Penske Ford up to speed, he had already fallen to sixth-place.
· Logano finished the event sixth. The result keeps the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford in the lead in the NASCAR Nationwide Series Owner’s point standings. The team holds an 11-point advantage over the No. 54 from Joe Gibbs Racing.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
IT LOOKED LIKE YOU WOULD HAVE A SHOT AT THE WIN. HOW DID THE RACE PLAY OUT?
“I am really disappointed because we had a car capable of winning tonight and we didn’t get the job done. We didn’t make the right adjustments there at the end and then I spun the tires on the restart. After that, we were just too tight and I couldn’t do anything with them. It’s just frustrating to know that you had a car that could have easily have won the race and you finish sixth. That makes things frustrating. We were the fastest car out there with the 33. I think it would have been a good race down to the end, but we didn’t get a chance to show what we had in those last 10 laps. It was a good comeback from hitting the wall earlier. I just wish we could have gotten more out of it."
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.