Keselowski Wins at Iowa Speedway
August 4, 2013THE RACE
The US Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway (7/8 - mile speedway, Newton, Iowa)
August 3, 2013
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Driven By: Brad Keselowski
Start Position: 5
Finish Position: 1
Current Owner's Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· Brad Keselowski qualified fifth in the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang for Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series event Iowa Speedway.
· At the drop of the green flag, Keselowski had a loose- handling Mustang but worked his way to the third position by lap 39.
· The first caution came out on lap 54 giving Keselowski and crew chief Jeremy Bullins the opportunity to make a round of air pressure adjustments to the No. 22 Ford.
· During the pit stop the team had a pit road violation causing Keselowski to restart from the 22nd position on lap 59.
· Keselowski was able to fight his way back into the top 10 by lap 114. Once Keselowski cracked the top 10, his Discount Tire Ford Mustang began to run hot due to collected rubber on the grill. In order to cool the Mustang down, he dropped to the 13th position where he fought to remain on the lead lap.
· The caution came out on lap 138. Bullins called Keselowski down to pit road for four tires, fuel and a cleaning of the grille to cool down Keselowski’s Mustang. Keselowski would restart from the 15th position.
· Keselowski would restart from the seventh position on lap 205. Four laps later, he made a 3-wide pass for second spot. On lap 216, Keselowski made the pass for the lead.
· The fourth caution waived on lap 223 and the Discount Tire team elected to stay out. Keselowski was able to retain the lead on the restart and lead the final laps to the checkered flag.
· This was Keselowski’s 23rd victory in the NWS. He is currently 9th on all time win list, tied with Dale Earnhardt Jr.
· The 22 Discount Tire team sits second in Owners Points, 33 points behind the No. 54 of Joe Gibb Racing.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
YOU FELL TO THE 22ND SPOT, HOW WERE YOU ABLE TO WIN THIS RACE?
“I knew we had a Discount Tire Ford Mustang that could win the race, but we had to work for it. After our first pit stop, we had to restart from the back and race our way through the field. The car was getting hot due to rubber on the grill, so we raced more cautiously during the middle of the race to make sure we would be there at the end. We got lucky with the third caution because we were about two laps away from pitting to clean the grill. Once we got the grill clean and the temps came down, it was go time. We were able to race our way to the front and put the Discount Tire Ford Mustang in Victory Lane once again and get another 1-2 finish for Penske Racing.” - Brad Keselowski
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.