Penske Racing US Cellular 250 Preview
July 30, 2013
US Cellular 250 presented by Enlist Weed Control System
Iowa Speedway (7/8 mile oval, Newton, Iowa)
Saturday, August 3, 2013
No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Ford Mustang - Driver: Sam Hornish Jr.
No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang - Driver: Brad Keselowski
Saturday 8:00pm ET ESPN2
Radio 8:00pm ET MRN and SiriusXM
THE NEWS AND NOTES
No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Ford Mustang
• FOURTH AND 14: Just 14 points separate Hornish from the top position in the series standings, a spot he has held for eight races this year. He currently sits a season low fourth after a 34th -place result last weekend at Indianapolis.
• THREE POINT FIVE: Over the last two races at Iowa Hornish has a 3.5 average finish as he finished fourth in this year's spring race and third at this event last summer.
• HEALING TIME: Heading into this weekend's event at Iowa, Hornish will make a visit at the Mercy Children's Hospital in Toledo, which is located close to his native Defiance, Ohio.
• HIGH NOTES: Through 19 NASCAR Nationwide Series races in 2013, Hornish has the highest driver rating (108.6), leads in Fastest Laps Run (285) and has led the most of laps (405) of the series regular drivers.
• GOPENSKE.COM: The No. 12 Penske Ford Mustang is flying the Penske Truck Rental colors this weekend at Iowa. It also features the #OneWay4PVA campaign which supports Mission: ABLE and Paralyzed Veterans of America. Through Memorial Day 2014, customers have the option to donate a dollar when they pick up their one-way rental. Penske Truck Rental will match every dollar donated by its one-way customers.
THE Q & A
SAM HORNISH JR., NO. 12 PENSKE TRUCK RENTAL FORD
YOU HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF GOOD RUNS AT IOWA. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS RACE?
"We've run a lot better than our results show. Our No. 12 Penske Ford Mustang was fast here in the spring race. We qualified second, led laps early in the race, and finished fourth despite getting caught out on a two-tire change going into a long green flag run. This is another one of those places where we feel as though we are more than capable of winning. Iowa is a fun place to race. I like the way the track drives and racing under the lights is always a good time."
GREG ERWIN, NO. 12 PENSKE TRUCK RENTAL FORD CREW CHIEF
COMING OFF OF A TOUGH WEEKEND, DOES THAT CHANGE YOUR APPROACH TO THIS WEEKEND?
"We look at last weekend just long enough to understand what we need to learn and improve on as a team. There are 14 races to go and this team has its eyes focused on Iowa right now. We garnered valuable information at the spring race here. We've also done some short-track testing that provided us with a direction that will be beneficial this weekend at Iowa. Our Penske Truck Rental Ford will be fast, and we are more determined than ever to make the most of this non-companion race weekend and begin climbing our way back up the standings."
THE NEWS AND NOTES
No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
• FORMER WINNER: In one of his most-dominating NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) wins, Keselowski led 121 of 250 laps on the way to his fourth career NNS victory in the 2009 inaugural race at Iowa Speedway.
• TRYING FOR THE TRIFECTA: Keselowski is running a limited NNS schedule in 2013, but he has made the most of his starts. The 2010 NNS champion has won the last two races he has entered at Richmond and Kentucky, respectively. He will attempt to go for three-in-a-row at a track that he enjoys this weekend.
• SURGING SINCE RICHMOND: Keselowski scored the first victory of the season for the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang team at Richmond International Raceway. Since then Keselowski, Joey Logano and AJ Allmendinger have all visited Victory Lane to push the team into the second spot on the NNS owner's point standings.
• FIRST WIN AS AN OWNER: In addition to being a former winner at Iowa, Keselowski also picked up his first win as an owner when Ryan Blaney scored a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series victory there in 2012.
• 22 AND COUNTING: Keselowski's win at Kentucky Speedway earlier this year gives him 22 career NASCAR Nationwide Series victories, which ties him with Tommy Ellis and Sam Ard for 10th-place on the all-time list.
THE Q & A
BRAD KESELOWSKI, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD
YOU REALLY SEEM TO ENJOY RACING AT IOWA SPEEDWAY. WHY?
"I always enjoy getting a chance to go back and race at Iowa Speedway. My win there in 2009 ranks as one of the biggest of my career. I still remember being able to hear the crowd as I passed the 18 car for the lead that day. Not to mention that Ryan Blaney gave me my first win as an owner at Iowa in 2012. The support of the fans and the community there is unmatched. I only display a few trophies in my house, but that Iowa trophy is one of them."
JEREMY BULLINS, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD CREW CHIEF
Back to previous page.
YOU'VE REALLY TURNED A CORNER WITH THIS TEAM RECENTLY. WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?
"There is no secret here. We've just had very-talented drivers in the seat of this Discount Tire Ford Mustang that have made me look good. Really looking forward to having Brad back in the car this weekend at Iowa. We're going to do everything we can to get him his third win in-a-row. He's sacrificing a lot this weekend by traveling back and forth between Pocono and Iowa. What better way to reward him for his efforts than to wind up in Victory Lane."
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.