Joey Logano Scores a Top-10 in the Brickyard 400
July 29, 2013
Crown Royal presents the Samuel Deeds 400 at the Brickyard
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.5-mile oval, Speedway, Ind.)
Back to previous page.
No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion
Driven By: Joey Logano
Start Position: 11
Finish Position: 8
Current Driver's Points Position: 18
THE RACE REVIEW
No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion driven by Joey Logano
· Joey Logano qualified the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion 11th for Sunday’s 20th running of the Crown Royal 400 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
· Logano started the race with a tight-handling condition on the Shell-Pennzoil Ford and he quickly found out that passing would be at a premium. He settled into the 11th position and ran there through the first two rounds of pit stops.
· On lap 81, crew chief Todd Gordon told Logano to stay on the track when the leaders came to pit road during a caution, which put the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford in second place. On the race restart, Logano passed his Penske Racing teammate Brad Keselowski to grab the lead.
· Logano pulled out to a substantial lead before having to pit about 10 laps later. This placed the team on a different pit stop sequence than the rest of the field.
· For the remainder of the afternoon, Logano found himself off sequence but always near the top 10 in the running order. As the leaders came to pit lane, Logano ran inside the top five but then gave up the spots when he had to come to pit road.
· An uncharacteristically slow stop on his final trip down pit road of the day cost Logano a few positions on the track. When pit stops cycled through, he held the 11th position.
· Logano passed several other cars in the remaining laps to secure an eighth-place finish. It was Logano’s ninth top-10 result of the 2013 season.
· With the finish, Logano remained 18th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings, now 35 points outside of the top 10.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
YOU WERE ON A DIFFERENT PIT STRATEGY ALL DAY LONG. HOW DID IT PLAY OUT FOR YOU?
“I was confused. I didn’t know what was going on but (crew chief) Todd (Gordon) did a good job making the calls today. I feel like he gave us the opportunity to gain the track position we needed. We just weren’t quite as fast as we needed to be. We led some laps but the 48 was just so fast plus he had new tires. We lost a little there and then we had some issues on pit road today that cost us about three or four spots. I feel like we could have finished in the top five and am proud of the effort the guys put into this car. We weren’t really sure how we were going to be. I am glad we got a decent finish again and hopefully we get these troubles out of the way and get back on a top-10 streak and make up the points we’ve lost the last two weeks.” - Joey Logano
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.