Keselowski Finishes 21st at Indianapolis
July 29, 2013
Crown Royal presents the Samuel Deeds 400 at the Brickyard
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.5-mile oval, Speedway, Ind.)
No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion
Back to previous page.
Driven By: Brad Keselowski
Start Position: 12
Finish Position: 21
Current Driver's Points Position: 13
THE RACE REVIEW
No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion driven by Brad Keselowski
· Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion team began Sunday’s Crown Royal 400 at the Brickyard from the 12th position.
· As the race began, Keselowski radioed that the Miller Lite Ford had a slight loose-handling condition yet he was able to race the car inside the top 10 by lap 28.
· After electing to stay on track under a lap 81 caution, Keselowski claimed the lead for the first time when the race resumed at lap 86. This decision also placed the No. 2 Ford Fusion team on a different pit strategy than most of the other competitors.
· While he was happy with the handling of the Miller Lite Ford in turns three and four, Keselowski reported that the handling was not where it needed it to be in the other corners.
· After reclaiming the race lead at lap 149, Keselowski made his final pit stop of the day. The team then hoped for a late-race caution to bring many of the lead cars down pit road, which would have left the Miller Lite team with good track position for a run to the checkered flag.
· Unfortunately, the No. 2 team was unable to make up the lost track position as a caution flag did not wave in the closing laps of the race.
· With the 21st-place finish, Keselowski, the defending series champion, fell to the 13th spot in the point standings. He is now just six points outside of the top 10 as he continues to battle for a spot in the Chase for the Championship.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOUR RACE?
“That was definitely not the day we wanted. It was an up and down day and the way the cycles ended, it was down on the finish. I don’t think that was indicative of how we ran. That has been the story of the year. We were probably a fifth to tenth-place car which isn’t where we want to be and we know we have work to do to make our stuff faster but we weren’t a 21st place car – it is just the way things worked out.” - Brad Keselowski
HOW HAVE YOU DEALT WITH THE ROLLER COASTER NATURE OF THE SEASON?
“It is part of racing. I think in this sport if the rules are being enforced the way they are supposed to be enforced you should go through a roller coaster. Certain cars should have advantages and disadvantages throughout the year. I felt we were really strong at the beginning of the year and not so strong now. I think we will be really strong at the end of the year. For us that challenge is we know we need to make the Chase first and then we will ride that roller coaster the other way if we get there.” - Brad Keselowski
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.