Logano Scores a Third-Place Finish at the Brickyard
July 28, 2013THE RACE
The Indiana 250 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.5 mile speedway, Speedway, Ind.)
July 27, 2013
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Driven By: Joey Jogano
Start Position: 13
Finish Position: 3
Current Owner's Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano qualified 13th in the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang for Saturday afternoon’s NASCAR Nationwide Series event at the legendary Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
· At the drop of the green, Logano slipped back to 14th, but started working his way forward slowly and methodically. After 10 laps, Logano was in the top 10. By lap 20, Logano found himself running seventh.
· With the first 50 laps run under green, Logano and crew chief Jeremy Bullins had little opportunity to make adjustments to fight a tight condition on the No. 22.
· After another round of stops, Logano and Bullins knew they could make it the rest of the way with just a quick stop for fuel and right side tires while the leaders would still have to pit for four and a full load of fuel. It appeared the strategy would work out just right, as Logano came into the pits for the last time on lap 64. However, as green flag stops were happening, a caution allowed leader Kyle Busch to make his stop and get out ahead of Logano.
· Logano would restart the race in second and run there for the last 20-plus laps. Over the course of the final few laps, several restarts allowed Logano to have shot after shot to grab the lead.
· With just a few laps to go, Logano got a great restart and appeared to have a shot to grab the lead from Busch. However, as the two raced side-by-side, Busch got Logano up into the marbles, dropping him from second to third.
· Logano would hold onto third as the checkers waved.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
YOU HAD A CHANCE TO WIN AT THE END. HOW DID THOSE LAST FEW LAPS PLAY OUT?
“I was willing to take the risk to pin the No. 54 on the bottom and take the air off him. That was my only shot I had to take the lead and I thought if I took the lead that I could beat him. I felt like I had a good shot on the outside and had a good restart. I pinned him down there and he got loose and slid me up into the marbles. It’s good hard racing and nothing to be mad about. I put him in a bad position hoping that he could hang onto his car and he could. That is hard racing and part of the fun out here and the risk you take to win these things. It was fun. I let him go when he got underneath me thinking him and the No. 2 would race the heck out of each other and I would time it right and pass both of them. I couldn’t get it timed right and was too loose in traffic and couldn’t get both of them. Man it was a lot of fun though. The last 10 laps was a lot of fun.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.