Penske Racing Indiana 250 Race Preview
July 23, 2013
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Saturday July 27, 2013
Friday: Practice 10:30am ET SPEED
Saturday: Qualifying 12:00pm ET SPEED
Race 4:30pm ET ESPN
NO. 12 WURTH FORD MUSTANG
DRIVER: SAM HORNISH JR.
• BACK TO THE FRONT: After relinquishing the top spot in the series title chase to Regan Smith after Richmond, Sam Hornish Jr. has once again assumed the points lead with a strong second-place run last weekend at Chicagoland Speedway.
• UNIQUE DISTINCTION: As a NASCAR driver, Hornish's best performance at Indianapolis came last year in the Nationwide Series inaugural Indy 250. Hornish is one of only two active NASCAR drivers that have won the Indianapolis 500 and the only active Nationwide Series driver to do so.
• WEARING WURTH: The No. 12 Penske Ford Mustang will once again be adorned in the red and white of Wurth for this weekend's Indiana 250.
• ANOTHER DASH: Predicated on his second place finish at Chicago last weekend, Hornish will make his second appearance as a DASH4CASH driver at Indianapolis the weekend.
• LEADING BY EXAMPLE: Through 18 races, Hornish has led more laps (405) and turned more fastest laps (279) than any other full-time NNS competitor.
• NO REST AT THE TOP: In between the races at Chicago and Indianapolis, Hornish tested at Toledo Speedway on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, he traveled to Syracuse, NY for an Alliance Truck Parts appearance.
SAM HORNISH, JR. NO. 12 WURTH FORD
BEING AN INDIANAPOLIS 500 WINNING DRIVER, WHAT WOULD A WIN MEAN IN STOCK CAR MEAN TO YOU?
"Winning is always memorable, but winning at Indianapolis has additional prestige because the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has a heritage that is unparalleled in U.S. motorsports. My mom went to the Indy 500 when she was pregnant with me and some of my fondest childhood memories involve coming to this track with my family. To win here in the Nationwide Series would be amazing in ways that are difficult to articulate. It will be great to be able to win here in two different series. And I am grateful that I have that opportunity. We are going to do our best to find out exactly what it would mean this Saturday."
YOU ARE BACK ON TOP OF THE SERIES STANDINGS, HOW DOES THAT FEEL?
"It feels good. As I've said all along, we have fast Ford Mustangs and a strong team. We've had a lot of strong performances and a couple of off days. This championship is very tight, and it is going to come down to consistency. We know what we have to do and we know we're capable of getting the job done."
NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD MUSTANG
DRIVER: JOEY LOGANO
• COMING OFF THE WIN: Joey Logano will come into the NASCAR Nationwide Series event in Indianapolis riding a hot streak. Logano won last weekend's Nationwide Series stand-alone race at Chicagoland Speedway, his second-career win at the 1.5-mile track and his second of the season behind the wheel of the No. 22. Logano finished ahead of his Penske Racing teammate Sam Hornish Jr., giving the organization a solid one-two finish.
• 22 CONTINUES THEIR ROLL: With the win at Chicagoland, the No. 22 Penske Racing team has now won five events this season with three different drivers (two for Logano, two for Brad Keselowski and one for AJ Allmendinger) including four of the last eight races. With the hot streak, the team has moved to within 34 points of the lead in the Nationwide Series Owner's point standings. The No. 22 team also comes into Indy as the defending race winners, where Keselowski took the win last year.
• 15TH ALL TIME: Logano's win at Chicagoland Speedway was his 20th-career Nationwide Series triumph. Those 20 wins put him in a tie for 15th on the all-time list with former series champion Greg Biffle. With 118 starts, Logano has averaged a NNS win every six starts over the course of his career.
• MEET LOGANO: Fans of the No. 22 Discount Tire team can meet and get an autograph from Logano on Thursday, July 25th, at the Discount Tire store located at 120 Avon Village Dr. in Avon, Ind. at 12pm ET.
JOEY LOGANO, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD
Back to previous page.
HOW IMPORTANT WOULD IT BE TO WIN AT INDY?
"There are a few tracks on the schedule where everyone wants to win and Indy is one of them for sure. Daytona, Talladega, Darlington, Bristol, Charlotte - those are some of the places that you really want to win because they mean so much. And Indy is definitely on that list. I've been fortunate enough to win races at all of those tracks, so the only one I really have left to add is Indy. And with the way this team is running lately and the fact that they won here last year, I think we have a good shot at it."
20 CAREER NNS WINS - DO ANY STAND OUT MORE THAN THE REST?
"You are always going to remember your first as one of the best. That night at Kentucky was pretty special with it being my third race, Father's Day weekend and with my dad being there. And winning at Daytona in the summer race was pretty cool too. Then, winning nine races last year was pretty special as well. Winning three-in-a-row at Dover is cool. When you win, they are all special. That is what you go out there to do each week, so they all stand out in one way or another."
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.