Logano Relegated to 40th-Place Finish at New Hampshire
July 15, 2013THE RACE
The Camping World RV Sales 301 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (one-mile oval, Loudon, N.H.)
The No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion
Driven By Joey Logano
Start Position: 25
Finish Position: 40
Current Driver Points Position: 18
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano qualified the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion in the 25th position for Sunday afternoon’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
· Prior to start of the event, Logano and crew chief Todd Gordon came up with a strategy to improve track position early in the race with the goal of working their way inside the top 10 by the midway point of the event.
· Unfortunately, those hopes were short lived. After passing a couple of cars in the opening laps, Logano lost a left rear tire on lap three and made hard contact with the wall in Turn 1.
· The damage was extensive and the Shell-Pennzoil Ford was forced to go to the garage for repairs.
·The team was able to fix the damage and Logano returned to the track nearly 90 laps down to the race leaders.
· Over the rest of the afternoon, Logano ran as hard as he could and he was able to earn back a couple of extra positions. Logano finished the event in the 40th position.
· With the tough result, Logano fell three spots to 18th in the series point standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
IT WAS A TOUGH RESULT AFTER THE EARLY INCIDENT. DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?
“We lost a tire for a second straight week. I don’t know what else to say really. Way too early in the race for that to happen, so we are all confused. I just went down into turn one and the car stepped out and we slammed the wall. No real warning or anything. It’s just too bad. We’ve had two bad weeks in a row now and that really hurts us in the points. We need to really step it up when we come back at Indy. We are going to have to look at doing what we can to pick up some wins to get ourselves in the Chase. These Shell-Pennzoil guys don’t give up though and I’m not going to give up either. That’s all we can do.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.