Keselowski Forced to Settle With 21st-Place Finish
July 7, 2013THE RACE
The Coke Zero 400 powered at Coca-Cola at Daytona International Speedway (2.5-mile oval, Daytona Beach, Florida)
The No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion
Start Position: 15
Finish Position: 21
Current Driver's Points Position: 13
THE RACE REVIEW
· Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford team started from the 15th position in the Coke Zero 400 following the Saturday afternoon qualifying session.
· During the opening laps of the race, Keselowski displayed patience while letting the race come to him. After gradually making his way through the field, he moved inside the top five in the running order at lap 48.
· After working his way into the third position just before making his second pit stop of the night, the caution flag was displayed as Keselowski was part of a small group of drivers yet to make their pit stops. As a result, the track position he worked hard to gain was lost after coming down pit road and restarting the race in the 18th position.
· Once again, Keselowski displayed a fast Miller Lite Ford as he was able to maneuver his way back inside the top-five cars at lap 95.
· After making his fourth, and final, pit stop of the night, Keselowski restarted the race in the second position at lap 133. Unfortunately, he was forced into the slower middle groove on the first lap back under green flag conditions and he dropped back in the running order.
· Keselowski narrowly avoided an incident at lap 150 when the No. 11 car of Denny Hamlin spun immediately in front of the No. 2 Ford.
· A late-race caution forced the race into overtime with a green-white-checkered flag finish. Several incidents on the final lap forced Keselowski to lose momentum while coming to the checkered flag, which resulted in a 21st-place finish.
· Keselowski remains 13th in the Sprint Cup Series driver standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
TALK ABOUT YOUR RACE TODAY
“The guys on the Miller Lite Ford team gave me a great car today. We took it easy at the start, we were really patient, but when it was time to go to the front we made it up there pretty easily. We restarted second after the last pit stop and I thought we were in a good spot there, but we got put three-wide on the backstretch and got shuffled back. After that we just couldn’t seem to catch up with the two late cautions. Definitely frustrating because we were better than a 21st-place car.” -Brad Keselowski
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.