Tough Night for Logano at Daytona
July 7, 2013THE RACE
The Coke Zero 400 powered at Coca-Cola at Daytona International Speedway (2.5-mile oval, Daytona Beach, Florida)
The No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion
Start Position: 18
Finish Position: 40
Current Driver's Points Position: 15
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano and the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil team qualified 18th for Saturday night’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway.
· At the beginning of the race, Logano made a strong charge to the front, grabbing the fourth position early.
· Over the first 50 laps, Logano ran as high as second and never ran outside the top 10.
· Around lap 55, Logano reported that the handling on the car began to get tighter and tighter. Because of the tight condition, Logano began to fall back through the field.
· While running 24th and preparing for green-flag pit stops, Logano and the No. 22 car blew a right front tire and it slammed into the outside wall.
· The Shell-Pennzoil team made significant repairs to the No. 22 Ford Fusion in the garage area. Logano was able to return to the race nearly 55 laps down and he made up a couple of positions. He finished the race scored in the 40th position.
· With the tough result, Logano fell from 10th to 15th in the Sprint Cup Series driver standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THE INCIDENT?
“I don’t know what happened. We will have to try and analyze it when we get back to the shop. The right front tire just gave out. I don’t know if we were just too tight or if we ran something over to what. But the tire gave out and we slammed into the wall. That was that. It’s a really tough deal. That was a big blow for us in the points. But we have clawed back before and we will do it again. We just need to get back on track. If any team can do it, this team can do it.” - Joey Logano
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.