Keselowski Wins Rain-Shortened Event at Kentucky
June 29, 2013THE RACE
Feed the Children 300 at Kentucky Speedway (1.5 mile oval, Sparta, Ky.)
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Driven By Brad Keselowski
Start Position: 19
Finish Position: 1
Current Owner's Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· Keselowski and the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang team began the race from the 19th position following the Friday afternoon qualifying session.
· Despite starting deep in the field, Keselowski immediately began to show that his Ford Mustang had plenty of speed to contend for the win as he methodically made his way toward the front of the field.
· Following hard, side-by-side racing with Kyle Busch, Keselowski was able to grab the lead for the first time at lap 99.
· Aside from giving up the lead for trips down pit road, the 2010 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) champion led most of the laps from the time he took the lead to lap 165.
· At lap 165 a brief rain shower brought out the caution flag before heavy rains forced NASCAR to stop the race at lap 170 with Keselowski in the top spot. It is Keselowski’s first rain-shortened win.
· The victory is the fourth of the year for the No. 22 team and their second in-a-row after AJ Allemdinger’s victory at Road America last weekend. It’s also Keselowski’s second-consecutive series victory in 2012.
It was Keselowski’s 22nd career NNS victory, entering him into a tie with Sam Ard and Tommy Ellis for 10th place on the all-time wins list.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
HOW GRATIFYING IS THIS WIN?
“You know, I didn’t want it to end this way but we had a great Discount Tire Ford and we were able to drive to the front. We didn’t qualify like we wanted to but Jeremy Bullins and this team did a great job. They have been working so well with Greg Erwin and Sam Hornish’s team. We deserve these results. I feel lucky to get to drive this car. The last two drivers before have won races in it and Ryan Blaney is going to get to drive it and hopefully he will get to win in it to. It was just a great car tonight. This is the type of car you get once a year if you are lucky.” - Brad Keselowski
YOU HAVE WON FOUR RACES WITH THREE DIFFERENT DRIVERS. WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?
“There is no secret, it is just that I am surrounded by a great organization and guys at the shop are building good race cars. We have Roush Yates engines with great horsepower and great fuel mileage. Our pit crew has done a phenomenal job coming together and this race team is getting stronger and I think working together and, like Brad said, momentum. Anytime you can get yourself up front that is contagious. It is just a matter of keeping that going.” - Jeremy Bullins, Crew Chief
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.