Penske Racing Feed the Children 300 Preview
June 25, 2013
Track: Kentucky Speedway
Date: June 28, 2013
TV: ESPN 7:30pm ET
Radio: PRN and SiriusXM
Driver: Sam Hornish Jr.
No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Ford Mustang
Primary Chassis: PRS-241 Last Raced: Darlington (finished 8th)
Backup Chassis: PRS-245 Last Raced: Backup at several races
• 1-2-3: Hornish has been at or near the top of the standings through the first 14 races of the NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) schedule; leading by as many as 28 points prior to Fontana and now sitting third as he trails 30 points behind leader, Regan Smith.
• TWO TIME WINNER: As an open-wheel man, Hornish posted two victories at Kentucky (2003 & 2006). In his two NNS starts, he has a fourth-place average finish with a second-place being his best result in NASCAR competition.
• UNIFORM CONSISTENCY: Heading into this weekend's event at Kentucky, Hornish will visit Penske Racing partner, Cintas at nearby Mason, Ohio.
• SUMMER HOME BASE: During the stretch of summer races in the Mid-west area, Hornish stays at his residence in Napoleon, Ohio which allows for a little time with his hometown family and friends.
• IMMEDIATE INTERMEDIATE: The No. 12 Ford Mustang team has been focused on improving on intermediate tracks and feel as though it has made progress in this area.
SAM HORNISH JR., NO. 12 PENSKE TRUCK RENTAL FORD
KENTUCKY HAS BEEN A GOOD TRACK FOR YOU. WHY IS THAT?
"Our No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Ford has been good here at Kentucky. This will be my third start here in a Nationwide car. I feel like we have a solid base coming in and a clear idea of what to expect in the race. Back in my open-wheel days we won a couple of races here, so that makes it easy to like this place. One of our goals this year has been putting additional emphasis on the intermediate tracks, and I think that has shown this season. We feel like we are in a good place at the moment and we are working hard to keep improving."
GREG ERWIN, NO. 12 PENSKE TRUCK RENTAL FORD CREW CHIEF
WHAT IS TOP OF MIND FOR YOU AT KENTUCKY?
"We've got speed in our Ford Mustangs pretty much wherever we go so far this year. Our qualifying efforts have been good or better at most places too. The main area where we need to improve is our in race adjustments, and that comes down to better communications. We have identified a few key areas, and we've developed strategies to address these areas. Now we're looking forward to the race and doing the work."
Driver: Brad Keselowski
No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Primary Chassis: PRS-244 Last Raced: Darlington (finished 4th)
Backup Chassis: PRS-246 Last Raced: Backup at several races
• FORMER WINNER: In one of his most-dominating NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) wins, Keselowski led 132 of 200 laps on the way to his 13th career NNS victory in the 2011 edition of this event..
• DIGGING THE BLUEGRASS STATE: In five career NNS starts at Kentucky, Keselowski owns an average finish of 3.6. He has completed all 1,000 laps of competition during that span with only one finish outside the top-five.
• SURGING SINCE RICHMOND: Keselowski's last start in the No. 22 Ford resulted in the first victory of the season for the team at Richmond International Raceway. Since that win both Joey Logano and AJ Allmendinger have also visited Victory Lane to push the team into the second spot on the NNS owner's point standings.
• 21 AND COUNTING: Keselowski's win at Richmond International Raceway earlier this year gives him 21 career NASCAR Nationwide Series victories, which ties him with Dale Earnhardt, Tommy Ellis and Harry Gant for 10th-place.
• KENTUCKY NATIVE: The motor tuner on the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford, Tommy Chandler, hails from Owensboro.
BRAD KESELOWSKI, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD
Back to previous page.
HOW WAS IT WATCHING JOEY LOGANO AND AJ ALLMENDINGER WIN RACES IN THE NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD?
"I could not have been happier watching those two guys win in this car. It just shows what we've built here over the last three-and-a-half years. That was what I wanted when I came here in 2010. I wanted a big-time Nationwide Series team because it can help the whole organization in so many ways. With what Joey and AJ have been able to do over the last few weeks we are right back in the hunt for the owner's title. It's great to see them continuing the winning tradition that comes with the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford."
JEREMY BULLINS, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD CREW CHIEF
HOW MUCH HAVE YOU FOCUSED ON THIS WEEKEND'S RACE?
"Over the last couple of years, Kentucky has taken on some characteristics that make it a little different than the other 1.5-mile tracks we visit. Turns 1 and 2 are very bumpy, especially on the bottom. You need to have smooth ride quality to take the fast way around the track. That also means a second groove will develop as the race progresses because a lot of drivers will avoid those bumps. The track gains a lot of grip as the sun goes down and it becomes very fast. I think it's a track suited perfectly to Brad's driving style."
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.