Logano Holds On to Finish 11th at Michigan
June 16, 2013THE RACE
The Alliance Truck Parts 250 at Michigan International Speedway (2-mile speedway, Brooklyn, MI)
June 15, 2013
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Start Position: 10
Finish Position: 11
Current Owner's Points Position: 3
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano and the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang team qualified 10th for Saturday afternoon’s Alliance Truck Parts 250 at Michigan International Speedway.
· The No. 22 Mustang looked strong early on. After running fifth for the first handful of laps, Logano moved into second behind polesitter Austin Dillon and ran there for the next 40-plus circuits.
· Following a restart on lap 69, Logano took the lead for the first time, coming from sixth to first in less than a half of a lap as the green flag flew.
· While still running out front and with rain on the way, crew chief Jeremy Bullins elected to leave Logano out on the track while the rest of the field pitted during a caution, betting that rain would end the event early.
· As Logano continued to lead, the rain never came. On lap 99, Logano was forced to come down pit road for his final stop. He restarted the race ninth with less than 25 laps to go.
· Over the final run, Logano made contact with two different cars, which knocked a fender in on the one of the tires. The damage caused a slow leak and Logano had to try and just hold on for the final laps. He eventually came home 11th.
· Logano would lead once on the day for 30 laps.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
IT LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE GOING TO HAVE A WIN, BUT THE RAIN NEVER CAME.
“For a minute I thought we had the 1,000th win (for Ford) for sure. We were really good out front. We took the gamble to stay out under that one caution because the radar showed rain was about a mile from the track. It never did rain though. There is nothing you can do about that. Unfortunately we gambled on rain and went for it and it didn’t work out. I was totally behind (Crew Chief) Jeremy (Bullins) on his call there. It is just unfortunate and frustrating. I really wanted to win this race. And once we got back in the pack, it’s just really hard to pass. We had a tire rub and that just killed our shot at getting back to the front.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.