Mechanical Issues End Hornish's Day Early at Michigan
June 16, 2013THE RACE
The Alliance Truck Parts 250 at Michigan International Speedway (2-mile speedway, Brooklyn, MI)
June 15, 2013
The No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang
Start Position: 13
Finish Position: 32
Current Driver Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· Hornish started the Alliance Truck Parts 250 from the 13th position on the grid based on his Saturday morning qualify effort during which he lapped the two-mile speedway in 38.104 seconds at 188.957 miles per hour.
· It was apparent early in the race that the No. 12 Ford Mustang was very fast as Hornish made up several positions during the opening laps of the race.
· Beginning at lap 15, Hornish was the fastest car on the track for three consecutive laps. He drove up to the third position by lap 32.
· At lap 62 Hornish reported that something hit the front of the car but there was no noticeable damage.
· After a lap 65 pit stop, with some competitors electing to stay out, Hornish was scored eighth but made his way up to second on the restart.
· At lap 79, there was a caution for debris and Hornish noticed his Alliance Truck Parts machine was smoking and reported he had lost oil pressure.
· He brought the Penske Ford to the pits where the crew determined that the oil pump had suffered damage from debris and the oil pump belt had broken. He retired from the race.
· With the result, Hornish and the No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford maintains second-place in the standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FORD MUSTANG?
“A piece of debris came through the nose of the car and actually broke the oil pump. It hit the pulley for the oil pump, broke the pulley off and that basically allowed that front bearing to dump a bunch of oil out of the engine. It was something that was kicked up from another car because it hit almost right underneath the headlight of the car. Our Mustang was really good today and we were biding our time, trying to make it to the end of the race. We knew we had a good car that was capable of winning, it just wasn’t our day. I am glad that it wasn’t an engine problem. This is something that is totally out of our control. We will move on to the next race feeling like we have great opportunities. I want to thank all the people at Alliance Truck Parts. This being their race it is difficult to not be able to finish it, but you can’t control luck sometimes.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.