Top-5 Result for Hornish in DuPont Pioneer 250
June 10, 2013THE RACE
The DuPont Pioneer 250 at Iowa Speedway (7/8 - mile speedway, Newton, Iowa)
The No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang
Start Position: 2
Finish Position: 4
Current Driver Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· The DuPont Pioneer 250 originally scheduled to run Saturday night was postponed until Sunday morning due to persistent rain in the area.
· Hornish started the rain delayed race on the outside of the front row based on his lap of 23.190 seconds at 135.834 miles per hour during Saturday afternoon’s qualifying session.
· As the race began, Hornish reported that his Alliance Truck Parts machine was too free all around, yet he was able to work his way to the lead by lap nine.
· During the first pit stop, the team elected to change only two right-side tires, which kept the Ford Mustang in the lead, but Hornish reported that he was still to free in and off of the corner
· Over the course of a long green-flag run, the two-tire change would prove to be less than optimal, as late in the run Hornish would lose several positions to competitors that took four tires on the previous pit-stop.
· During the next stop, the team made a chassis adjustment and changed four tires in an effort to tighten up the No. 12 Mustang
· Hornish was running in the fourth he race was red flagged at lap 164 as a rain shower drenched the track
· When the action resumed Hornish briefly moved up into the third position before settling back into fourth place as the race concluded.
· With the result, Hornish and the Alliance Truck Parts team closed the gap to just 23 points out of first place in the series standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
HOW WAS YOUR RACE TODAY?
“We had a pretty good Ford Mustang today. We gambled on taking two tires on the first pit-stop thinking that some of the lead cars may do the same thing and no one else did. That hurt us as that stint stayed green, and by the end we had lost a bunch of track position. We made some good changes as the race wore on and the Penske Racing crew did great work in the pits. I have to thank the No. 22 pit crew guys for coming over to help us today as our regulars had to go to Pocono for the Cup race. Overall, it was a good day for us. We gained a few more points on the No. 7 car and we learned a few things that will be valuable as the season continues.” – Sam Hornish Jr.
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.