Blaney Scores Top-10 at Iowa Speedway
June 10, 2013THE RACE
The DuPont Pioneer 250 at Iowa Speedway (7/8 - mile speedway, Newton, Iowa)
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Driven By: Ryan Blaney
Starting Position: 6
Finishing Position: 9
Owner Points Position: 3
THE RACE REVIEW
· The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang was qualified in the sixth position by Joey Logano, who had to go to Pocono to compete in the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion. This meant that Ryan Blaney had to take the wheel of the No. 22 Ford without any practice as well as start at the back of the back due to a driver change penalty.
· Blaney picked up numerous positions over the first few laps of the race, was scored 25th by lap 3 and then he made his way into the top 15 by lap 18.
· By the time the No. 22 Ford pitted for the first time at lap 53, the development driver had made it to the 11th position.
· The No. 22 Penske crew had a miscue with an air hose on during the first pit stop which resulted in a lengthy stop and the loss of numerous positions.
· Blaney wasted little time making his way through the field once again and regained the 11th spot by lap 124.
· When the race was stopped due a deluge of passing rain, the Discount Tire machine was scored in the seventh position.
· As the racing resumed after the rain delay, Blaney was bumped by the No. 77 machine and subsequently dropped back to 10th in the running order.
· Blaney was able to recapture one of the lost positions as he brought the No. 22 Penske Ford home in the ninth position.
· With the result the No. 22 Discount Tire team maintains third in the owner’s points just 10 markers out of second-place.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
HOW WAS IT TO JUST GET IN THE CAR WITHOUT ANY PRACTICE?
“I am satisfied with day we had overall. The No. 22 Discount Tire Mustang was fast. We had a little problem on the first stop, but we were able to drive our way back up towards the front. We may have been able to finish a couple spots better, but the No. 77 gave us a pretty good bump on the last restart and that cost us a couple positions and we just ran out of laps to go after the last few spots. All in all, it was fun. To be able to just jump in the car like that and have that kind of day was good for the whole team. I have to thank Joey and the No. 22 Penske Crew for setting up for me.” – Ryan Blaney
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.