Logano Scores His Fifth Top-10 Finish of the Season
June 3, 2013THE RACE
The FedEx 400 benefiting Autism Speaks at Dover International Speedway (one-mile oval, Dover, Del.)
Sunday, June 2, 2013
The No. 22 Pennzoil Ford Fusion
Driven By Joey Logano
Starting Position: 9
Finishing Position: 7
Current Championship Position: 18
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano qualified the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion in the ninth position for Sunday afternoon’s race at Dover.
· Right off the bat, Logano radioed to crew chief Todd Gordon that the No. 22 Ford was loose in, tight center and loose off. It was a handling condition that would plague the team all afternoon long.
· For most of the afternoon, Logano would find himself between the 12th and 14th position on the track while working to improve the Shell-Pennzoil Ford.
· On lap 157, Logano had to make an unscheduled green-flag stop for a flat left front tire. Right after the stop, the caution came out, trapping Logano down two laps.
· Logano took the wave around to get back to one lap down, but a long green-flag run resulted in again going two laps down. However, a well-timed caution allowed Logano to get one lap back.
· Logano raced his way into the Lucky Dog position and then benefit from another well-timed caution flag, putting him back on the lead lap in the 16th position.
· Over the final 80 laps, Logano was able to race from 16th to seventh to score his third-straight top-10 finish and his fifth top-10 finish of the season.
· Logano moved up one spot in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings to 18th but is just nine points out of 14th and 36 points out of the top-10.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
THAT WAS QUITE THE COMEBACK TODAY?
“We fought all day basically trying to get a lucky dog after that flat tire. We would get one back and then go down two and then get one back. We were basically trying to get three laps back for the most part. I am proud of the effort from my guys today. This weekend I thought we were going to finish about 15 laps down today. We weren’t any good in practice and Todd and all the guys did a good job making it better for me. By the end it was a top-five car and we just ran out of time. We were trying to pass as many as I could during the restart but it was so aero tight behind these cars. I feel like that we could have finished in the top-five but considering where we were, we will take that all day.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.