Logano Scores 2nd-Place Finish in Sprint All-Star Race
May 19, 2013THE RACE
The Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5-mile quad-oval, Concord, N.C.)
The No. 22 Pennzoil Ford Fusion
Starting Position: 5
Finishing Position: 2
Current Championship Position: 18
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano started the race from the fifth position after Friday night’s unique qualifying session, which saw the teams make three laps, including a four-tire pit stop.
· At the start of the race, Logano began to fall back with a car that was handlng tight in the turns and free coming off of the turns. The condition plagued Logano and the No. 22 Pennzoil Ford for much of the night, but the team made big changes during the early red flag period, which was caused by a passing rain shower.
· The handling of the car continued to get improve following each pit stop. Race strategist Greg Erwin and crew chief Steve Reis made some good calls to better the performance of the Pennzoil Ford Fusion.
· With finishes of ninth, fifth, seventh and seventh, Logano had the fifth-best finishing average leading into the final round of pit stops. During the mandatory four-tire stop before the final 10-lap dash, the No. 22 Pennzoil team gave Logano a great pit stop, which placed him in fourth place for the final dash to the checkers.
· Logano was able to drive from fourth to second over the final 10 laps, but with no caution flags, wasn’t able to catch the eventual race winner, Jimmie Johnson. Logano had to settle for second place, his best-ever finish in the All-Star race.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
HOW BIG WAS THAT LAST PIT STOP?
“The 22 guys did a great job with great pit stops.
They got us that last spot before the 10 to go and that put us in the second row. That was important. I had a good restart, pushed the 5 (car) out there but the 48 (car) was fast. The only shot I had was to get a caution and get our Pennzoil Ford up against him. That was my only shot to have a restart and have to really pin him or do something to try to win this thing, but it was a lot of fun.”
HOW WOULD YOU CLASSIFY YOUR RACE?
“Second is awesome, but then it stinks at the same time because you’re like, ‘Oh, that was so close.’ But the guys did a great job. They made this car continually better all day, got our track position at the end. I just wish we had another caution. We weren’t the winning car, but I wish we had another caution to at least give him a run for his money.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.