Top-10 Result for Hornish at Darlington Raceway
May 11, 2013
Back to previous page.
The Sport Clips Help a Hero 200 at Darlington Raceway (1.366 -mile speedway, Darlington, S.C.)
The No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang
Start Position: 9
Finish Position: 8
Driver Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· Sam Hornish Jr. started the race from the ninth position on the grid based on his lap time of 28.769 seconds at a speed of 170.934 mph.
· As the race began, Hornish reported that his Alliance Truck Parts Ford was too free on corner entry and exit.
· Despite dealing with a Ford Mustang that was too free, Hornish was able to improve several positions over the opening laps of the race as he was running in the fourth position by lap 27.
· As the race progressed the Penske Racing crew made adjustments to the Alliance Truck Parts machine, yet the Ford Mustang continued to be too free throughout the night.
· Over the closing laps of the race, Hornish hustled his Ford Mustang as he battled the track conditions and his fellow competitors and brought the Alliance Truck Parts machine home in eighth-place.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
HOW WAS YOUR RACE CAR TONIGHT?
“We were loose all night, and never got it to a point where we felt like we were tight, so it was rough. We had a pit stop that was less than what we wanted it to be - I think we went from running fourth to restarting ninth. We need to work on being a little bit smarter to keep on the right side of the track because we knew it would free up, but we just never got ahead of it.”
GOOD TO HAVE A TOP 10 THOUGH AFTER LAST WEEK AND STAYING CLOSE TO REGAN SMITH?
“We can’t worry about that. I was trying to catch him and get around him because we were better than them most of the night, but the track took a pretty hard swing around lap 80, and we got way behind. We just need to keep collecting points at this point. To lose one to him is no big deal. We’ve had some tough luck since the first off weekend, but we’re good. We’ve got fast cars, but we just didn’t execute the way we needed to tonight.”
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.