Hornish Finishes 25th After Being Collected in Accident
May 6, 2013THE RACE
The Aaron’s 312 at Talladega Superspeedway (2.66-mile superspeedway, Talladega, Ala.)
May 4, 2013
The No. 12 Wurth Ford Mustang
Start Position: 6
Finish Position: 25
Driver Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· Hornish started the rain delayed event on the outside of the third row after qualifying in the sixth position during the Friday afternoon time trial session.
· The race, which began almost three hours late due to rain, ended up being shortened by 10 laps as daylight gave way to dark.
· As the race began, Hornish lost several positions while looking for a drafting partner as the two-car tandem was the fast way around the superspeedway.
· After the first caution flag of the day, Hornish lined up in the third position behind teammate, Joey Logano. The two teammates ran at or near the front for several laps.
· The Wurth Ford was strong throughout the event as it was able to push teammate Joey Logano to the lead on multiple occasions. The Wurth Mustang also pushed several other cars to the lead throughout the race.
· Through the course of the race, Hornish ran as low as 16th-place, and as high a second-place as he worked with various drafting partners.
· A multi-car collision in Turn 4 at lap 93 resulted in the Wurth Mustang sustaining significant damage.
· The extensive damage required a lengthy trip to the garage for repairs.
· The Penske Racing crew worked feverishly and did get the No. 12 Ford back out on track for the final lap.
· With the 25th-place result, Hornish and the No. 12 Penske Ford Mustang team slip to the second position in the standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
THOUGHTS ON THE DAY? “The toughest part for us was we got separated from our drafting partners there towards the end. We had a plan on how to get hooked up, and someone didn’t get going on the outside line, and that screwed up what Joey and I had planned to get going, but that’s how it goes. You’ve got to have multiple people that you can work with – the 7, the 5, the 22, the 43, the 6 – we were able to push all of those guys to the front and get pushed up. I don’t think we led a lap, but it’s tough for it to end like that because we had such a strong race car. There are going to be situations like the one we found ourselves in towards the end of the race. The good news is we have speed in our Ford Mustangs, and there are a lot of races in front of us.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.