Hornish Finishes Seventh Under the Lights at Richmond
April 27, 2013THE RACE
The Toyota Care 250 at Richmond International Raceway (.75-mile, D-shaped oval, Richmond, Va.)
The No. 12 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang
Start Position: 3
Finish Position: 7
Current Driver Points Position: 1
THE RACE REVIEW
· Hornish started on the inside of the second row, in the third position on the grid, based on his lap of 21.472 seconds, or 125.745 miles per hour, during Friday afternoon’s qualifying session.
· As the race began, Hornish wasted little time making his way to the lead as he took over the top spot on lap four of the 250-lap event.
· The Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang was dominant for the first one-third of the race as Hornish led 83 of the first 87 laps.
· As the race wore on the No. 12 Penske Ford developed a long brake pedal and a loose-condition into and off of the corners.
· The pit crew had difficulties removing the right-front tire of Alliance Truck Parts machine during the pit-stops, which resulted in their Mustang losing a few valuable positions during two of the trips down pit road.
· Hornish would run inside the top-15 all night long as he fought his way to seventh for the checkered flag, which scored him just enough points to maintain the series point lead by one point.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
TELL US ABOUT YOUR RACE TONIGHT SAM:
“If it were a race for the first third of it we would have been pretty darn good. Our Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang just got way too free as the race progressed, and we couldn’t seem to make ourselves any better as the night went on. We had issues in the pits getting the tires off of the car too, but all in all, I was happy with how we started. I guess you could say we bookended it. We led early and Brad led late. It is good that we got one of our Penske Ford Mustangs in Victory Lane.” – Sam Hornish Jr.
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT TONIGHT’S RACE GREG:
“I thought it was awesome that we were able to go to the front and lead as many laps as we did. Unfortunately we had an issue in the pits with our right-front which cost us track position. We also were not able to keep up with the changing race track, but it was solid effort, we were competitive and it feels good to know we are still leading the points.” – Greg Erwin
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.