Keselowski Scores Top-15 Despite Blown Tire at Bristol
March 16, 2013
The Jeff Foxworthy’s Grit Chips 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway (half-mile, high-banked oval, Bristol, Tenn.)
Start Position: 6
Back to previous page.
Finish Position: 15
Current Owner Points Position: 13
THE RACE REVIEW
· Keselowski began the race from the sixth position as he toured the high-banked, half-mile oval in 15.470 seconds during the Saturday morning time trials at Bristol Motor Speedway (BMS).
· As the race began, Keselowski radioed that he was happy with his Ford Mustang as it could run fast laps in any lane around BMS.
· Following the team’s first pit stop of the day at lap 62, the Penske Racing driver quickly settled into the second position
· A great pit stop at lap 167 allowed Keselowski to pass Kyle Busch on pit road to take over the top spot as the race resumed under the green flag at lap 172.
· Unfortunately, while leading at lap 188, the No. 7 of Regan Smith made contact with Keselowski as the two were racing side-by-side for the lead.
The contact resulted in a heavy tire rub on the left front fender, eventually causing the tire to blow. The team would lose one lap while making repairs and would not get it back before the checkered flag.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
“It’s definitely frustrating. I feel bad for all the guys on the Discount Tire Ford team. They’ve built some really fast Ford Mustangs this year and we can’t seem to catch a break needed to get a win. I’m not saying we would have won if we don’t have contact with the 7 car, but I like my chances at the end. All we can do is keep building fast cars and things will work out.” - Brad Keselowski
“Very proud of everyone on the Discount Tire Ford team and I can’t thank Mr. Penske enough for giving us everything we need to be successful. We will get to Victory Lane soon enough. This team is too good to stay out of there for very long. When we get hot – and catch some breaks – we’ll be tough to beat.” - Jeremy Bullins, Crew Chief
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.