Hornish Cashes In At Las Vegas Motor Speedway
March 10, 2013THE RACE
The Sam’s Town 300 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (LVMS) (1.5 mile speedway) – Las Vegas, NV
Start Position: 7
Finish Position: 1
Driver Points Position: 1
THE RACE REVIEW
· After rain cancelled qualifying, Hornish started from the seventh position as the lineup was set per the NASCAR Nationwide Series rulebook, utilizing the 2012 owner point standings.
· Hornish scored his second Nationwide Series victory after leading 114 laps of the 200 lap event.
· The win is the first victory of the season for a Penske Ford and the first Ford Mustang victory of the season.
· The No. 12 Wurth Ford showed strength and speed all afternoon as Hornish was able to drive his Mustang from fourth to first on three separate occasions during restarts.
· Hornish and the No. 12 Wurth Ford Mustang now own a 19 point lead over the second-place competitors.
· This is the third consecutive top-10 and the second top-five finish for Hornish through three races.
· This is crew chief Greg Erwin’s first career Nationwide Series victory and the first win for the new driver – crew chief pairing.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
“It feels great to win here. I just realized this morning at the driver’s meeting that this was the Sam’s Town 300, and I thought this would be a good one to win because my name is already on the trophy.”
“We had a dominant car all day long. After the third lap of practice, I knew we had a pretty good Ford Mustang. We made some minor adjustments throughout practice, and a little bit for the race and the car was great.”
“The last time I had a car that good was probably in the 2008 All-Star race. We did have a really good Wurth car last year at Charlotte in the Nationwide Series race, but we didn’t get to race it. We made it about two laps in the race before we had a miscommunication between the spotter and me and ended up wrecked. I felt as good about that car in practice as I did this one. After patching it up we ran top five times with the replacement radiator and a lot of tape, but the car we had today was pretty special.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.