Logano Finishes 10th in Thursday's Duel
February 22, 2013
THE RACE - The First Daytona Duel Race at Daytona International Speedway (2.5-mile superspeedway, Daytona Beach, FL). No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion driven by Joey Logano
· Joey Logano started the race in the fifth position based off of his ninth-place qualifying effort on Sunday afternoon.
· At the drop of the green flag, Logano found himself falling back in the bottom groove, eventually settling into the seventh position.
· Logano and teammate Keselowski hooked up and moved into fourth and fifth place, where they ran for the majority of the 60-lap event.
· On lap 40, Logano brought the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion to pit road. Originally, crew chief Todd Gordon called for two tires, but changed to a four-tire stop after Logano slid the tires as well entering into the pits.
· In the final run to the finish, Logano found himself back in fourth place with just two laps to go. However, the 22-year-old got shuffled into the middle lane and fell back to 10th before taking the checkered flag.
· Logano will start the Daytona 500 in the 21st position. Sunday’s race will air on FOX at 1 pm ET.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
Back to previous page.
“That was a disappointing finish to the race. We had ourselves in the right position I think with about two to go and we were running fourth, but the No. 26 (car) wasn’t going so we went to the middle and the middle lane just didn’t go. We got bogged down behind the No. 13 and cars were passing us on the inside and outside. We could have and should have finished a lot better than that.” – Joey Logano on his finish in the first Duel race.
“The best thing we can take out of it is that our car is in one piece. We have a few things we can work on now that we know how the car handles in the draft. This car handles a lot different than what we’ve seen in the past few years, so we are all learning the right places to put ourselves. We will be alright going into Sunday. At Daytona, starting position doesn’t mean a whole lot.” – Joey Logano on looking forward to Sunday’s Daytona 500.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.