No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger Preview-Dollar General 300
September 16, 2011
No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger
Dollar General 300
September 17, 2011
TV: ESPN2 at 3:30 PM ET Radio: MRN/Sirius 90 at 3:00 PM ET
No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger News and Notes
• This Week’s Challenger… Brad Keselowski and the Penske Racing Discount Tire Dodge Challenger team will use chassis PRS-211 during Saturday’s Dollar General 300 at Chicagoland Speedway. Keselowski drove this chassis to an eighth-place finish at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in July after starting the race from the pole position.
• The No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger in 2011... After 26 events, Keselowski and the reigning NNS champion No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger team are ranked seventh in the 2011 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) owner point standings. The team is coming off a 19th-place finish in the Virginia 529 College Savings 250 last weekend at Richmond International Raceway last weekend after starting from the pole position.
• Chicago Rewind… After rain showers washed out qualifying for the June NNS race at Chicagoland, Keselowski started the race from the sixth position. He appeared to have a Discount Tire Dodge that was capable of finishing in the top-five before engine issues on lap 139 forced him to an early exit.
• Keselowski Speedway Stats… In 94 speedway starts in the Nationwide Series, Keselowski has accumulated six wins, 39 top-five finishes, 57 top-10 results and five pole awards. In addition, he has led the field for 1,117 laps at tracks between one and two miles in length..
• Follow Brad on Twitter… Fans can follow Keselowski on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/keselowski. Followers can get a glimpse inside his everyday life while keeping up-to-date on the latest Cup Series and Nationwide Series news for the Penske Racing driver..
Brad Keselowski on racing at Chicagoland Speedway
“I like the fact that Chicago has developed a lot of character over the years. Midwestern winters have taken their toll on the racing surface. It’s not Atlanta, but it is pretty hard on tires. You can race side-by-side, which is what everyone wants to see. Restarts can get crazy at Chicago, especially if you are on the inside, because guys can really hold you down on the bottom and make life difficult for you. Being a Midwestern guy, it would mean a lot to me to pick up a win there. I’ve had good cars, but we haven’t been able to capitalize on them. Todd (Gordon, crew chief) and I were really starting to jell before I hurt my foot, but I think we are starting to get comfortable with each other again since I’ve got back in the car. I’m excited for the possibilities that the rest of the year holds for this Discount Tire Dodge team.”
Brad Keselowski on racing in the Midwest
“I place a lot of emphasis on running well in the Midwest. It’s an important area to me and my family. My dad and uncle won a lot of races around there. My brother and I won a lot of late model races in the Midwest as well. It means a lot to me to run up front and contend for wins when I go back now with Penske Racing. Many times, this is the only opportunity that some of my family and childhood friends have to watch me race.”
Crew chief Todd Gordon on racing at Chicagoland Speedway
Back to previous page.
“Chicago is a pretty unique racetrack. It’s a very fast 1.5-mile oval so you need to make sure that you have done your homework in the aerodynamic department. You also need mechanical grip because the track is very bumpy and the surface is becoming pretty worn. I felt like we had a strong car for the first race at Chicago this year, but we had an engine issue that sidelined us early. Those things happen, but they are very rare for us here at Penske Racing. I feel like with Brad being in the car for all of practice will help us to get the car very comfortable for him. Sam (Hornish Jr.) did a great job in helping set the car up in June while Brad was in Kansas for the Cup race, but there is no substitute for the real thing. We’ve made our cars better and I’m expecting a better result.”
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.