Sam Hornish Jr. NSCS Homestead-Miami Speedway Preview
November 16, 2010
SAM HORNISH JR.
No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger
Homestead-Miami Speedway – Ford 400
November 21, 2010
Mobil 1 Team News and Notes
• Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, will make his third-career Cup Series start at Homestead-Miami Speedway this weekend in the final race of the 2010 season. This year, Hornish has earned a total of one top-10, seven top-15 and 12 top-20 results with an average finish of 24.9 and a best finish of 10th (New Hampshire, September). Hornish has maintained an average starting position of 20.7 this year with a best start of second (Texas, April). Entering this weekend, Hornish has completed 9993 of 10511 possible laps in 2010, leading for a total of 50 circuits.
• Hornish has an impressive racing history at Homestead-Miami Speedway in IndyCar Series competition. The former three-time series champion produced a total of seven IndyCar starts at Homestead, as he captured three victories and six top-three finishes along with two pole positions. In the open-wheel ranks, Hornish posted an average starting spot of 3.9 at the 1.5-mile oval with an average finish of third, completing 1399 of a possible 1400 laps and he led a total of 461 circuits at Homestead.
• Hornish has 35 Cup Series starts at NASCAR intermediate tracks and he has scored a total of two top-10, three top-15 and nine top-20 finishes at venues measuring greater than one mile, but less than two miles, in length. Hornish has an average starting position of 22.2 at intermediate tracks with a best start of second, which came at Texas Motor Speedway (April, 2010). He has an average finish of 24.8 in intermediate-track competition with a top result of eighth coming at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (June, 2009).
• Hornish will mark his return to NASCAR Nationwide Series competition this weekend in the Ford 300 at Homestead-Miami Speedway in the No. 26 Alliance Parts Dodge Charger. Hornish last raced in the NNS Series in 2008, when he made a total of eight starts and earned a best start of eighth (Watkins Glen International) and a best finish of 11th (Darlington Raceway).
• Hornish will sign autographs at the Penske Racing souvenir trailer at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Sunday, November 21 from 9:45 – 10:15 a.m. EST.
Sam Hornish Jr. Quote
What are your thoughts about the final race of the season at Homestead-Miami Speedway?
“I like Homestead-Miami Speedway; it’s been one of my favorite places for many years. Unlike other intermediate venues that are tri-ovals, both ends of the track are exactly the same with two straightaways in between. The way you get into the corners at Homestead is unlike anywhere else. It’s a unique track and a great place to have the final race of the season.
“I like being in the race car, so I wish we had another 25 races this year. I feel that we're starting to turn the corner on some things and get back to where we need to be. Although, it will be nice to have a little break since my wife Crystal is pregnant and we are having another baby during the off-season. It will be good to be home for a while and spend time with my family. I look forward to seeing what next year has in store.”
Crew Chief Travis Geisler Quote
Back to previous page.
What are your thoughts on the final race of the season this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway?
“Homestead is always an exciting place to go each year, when the culmination of a season’s work takes place in one weekend. We would like to thank everyone from Mobil 1 that has worked so hard on our behalf and we wish them well. I would also like to thank everyone at Penske Racing for all the hard work this season. We hope to end the season on a high note and put the No. 77 at the top of the board.”
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.