Sam Hornish Jr. NSCS Texas Preview
October 28, 2008
Sam Hornish Jr. - No. 77 Penske Truck Rental Dodge Charger
Back to previous page.
Texas Motor Speedway
November 2, 2008
News and Notes
• Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Penske Truck Rental Dodge Charger, will make his second NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start this weekend at Texas Motor Speedway. In April, Hornish qualified 17th for the Samsung 500 and secured a 32nd place finished.
• Hornish has a total of 15 IndyCar Series starts at Texas Motor Speedway. In that series, he has a total of three wins, two poles, seven top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.
• Hornish is now leading the 2008 Raybestos Rookie of the Year contest. He has a two point lead over fellow contender Regan Smith with three races to go in the competition.
• Hornish and the No. 77 team remain 37th in the 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series owner points standings following the race at Dover International Speedway.
• Hornish will host the fourth annual Sam Hornish Jr. Celebrity Bowling Tournament during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race weekend at Texas Motor Speedway on October 30, 2008. Over the past three years, the tournament has raised $307,000 to benefit the Texas chapter of Speedway Children’s Charities.
11/1/08: Hornish will be on hand at the Media Center at Texas Motor Speedway on Saturday, November 1 at 10 a.m. to present a check to Speedway Children’s Charities for monies raised at his celebrity bowling tournament.
11/1/08: Hornish will participate in a Rookie of the Year press conference at the speedway media center alongside fellow candidate Regan Smith.
11/2/08: Hornish will be on hand to sign autographs at his souvenir trailer on Sunday from 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. prior to the start of the Dickies 500.
PRS-585: The primary car for the Penske Truck Rental team this weekend is a brand new race car.
PRS-571: The back up car for the No. 77 team this weekend was raced by Hornish earlier this season in Kansas (finished 33rd) and Indianapolis (finished 21st).
Sam Hornish Jr. on Texas Motor Speedway
“I enjoy racing at Texas Motor Speedway and have done very well there in the IndyCar Series with wins and poles. Our intermediate-track program has been strong all season long and we are excited to return to Texas this weekend.
“I really look forward to hosting the Sam Hornish Jr. Celebrity Bowling Tournament each year in Texas. This will be the fourth year we have done the tournament in conjunction with the Texas chapter of Speedway Children’s Charities, but the first time with the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Crystal and I both enjoy bowling and are happy to share one of our favorite pastimes with those who come out to participate in this worthy cause.”
Crew Chief Travis Geisler on Texas Motor Speedway
“The Penske Truck Rental team is excited about going to Texas. We have had good cars at the last couple of intermediate-track races. If we can get the weather to cooperate, we should have a good qualifying effort and secure a better starting position than 36th, which is where we have started the last three weeks due to rain.
“With only three races left to secure a spot in the top 35 in owner points, we hope to capitalize on a good opportunity this weekend in Texas. I am also excited to get the trip started with Sam’s celebrity bowling tournament on Thursday night.”
2008 Rookie-of-the-Year Standings
Position Driver Points
1. Sam Hornish Jr. 195
2. Regan Smith 193
3. Patrick Carpentier 182
4. Michael McDowell 169
5. Dario Franchitti 97
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.