Ryan Briscoe Ready To Take On Belle Isle
August 27, 2008
Detroit Indy Grand Prix presented by Firestone
Aug. 31, 2008
The Raceway at Belle Isle Park
Television: LIVE 3:30 p.m. ABC
Radio: IMS Radio
Ryan Briscoe, No. 6 Team Penske Dallara/Honda
- Sunday will mark Briscoe’s first IndyCar Series start at Belle Isle. In 2007, Briscoe competed in the ALMS event at the circuit where he earned the overall pole and set the fastest lap of the race. The car was involved in an incident during the race and suffered rear-wing damage, resulting in a seventh in class finish.
- Last weekend in Sonoma, Briscoe started and finished second, marking his fourth podium appearance of the season.
- Briscoe’s result coupled with teammate Helio Castroneves’ win marked the Team’s second one-two finish this season (the other came in Mid-Ohio) and it’s 36th in its open-wheel history.
- The duo’s front row sweep in Sonoma was also Team Penske’s third one-two start this season and their third consecutive front row sweep on a permanent road/temporary street course (Mid-Ohio and Edmonton were the other two). This was also the fifteenth one-two start for the Team since joining the IndyCar Series full-time in 2002 and the 51st in its history.
- Earlier this year in Edmonton, Briscoe earned his second pole of the season (and third career) before finishing sixth for his seventh top-ten finish this year.
- Briscoe is currently in fifth place in the IndyCar Series Championship point standings with 390 points.
- Earlier this season in Milwaukee, Briscoe earned his first IndyCar Series victory and Penske Racing's historic 300th win, after starting 11th and leading twice for a total of 36 laps.
Penske Racing at Belle Isle:
- Penske Racing has three wins at Belle Isle and a total of four in Detroit, including back-to-back victories by Castroneves (2000 and 2001). Paul Tracy won for the Team in 1994 at Belle Isle, while Emerson Fittipaldi claimed victory in 1991 on a temporary street circuit in downtown Detroit.
Did You Know?
- In the five permanent road/temporary street races run this season, Team Penske has swept the front row three times (Mid-Ohio, Edmonton and Sonoma), earned two one-two finishes (Mid-Ohio and Sonoma), led the most laps four times (Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Edmonton and Sonoma), earned six podium finishes and led a total of 204 out of 399 laps (51%).
Briscoe on the Detroit Indy Grand Prix:
“I got my first start at the Belle Isle circuit last year in the American LeMans Series and really enjoyed it. It’s a very technical track with a good mix of fast and slow corners. This year will be my first time at the circuit in an Indy car, and I’m definitely looking forward to it.
"We were able to win the pole there last year in ALMS, and the IndyCar Team was very quick as well, so I’m optimistic that my experience combined with the Team’s experience at the circuit will produce a strong result this year. I would like nothing more than to win for Roger on his home track.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2015 Team Penske. All rights reserved.