Ryan Briscoe Kentucky Speedway Preview
August 6, 2008
The Meijer Indy 300 at Kentucky Speedway
Saturday, August 9, 6:30 p.m. EDT
ESPN2 (television), IMS Radio Network (radio)
Ryan Briscoe, No. 6 Team Penske Dallara/Honda, Fast Facts:
- Two weeks ago in Edmonton, Briscoe earned his second pole of the season (and third career) before finishing sixth for his seventh top-ten finish this year.
- His start in Edmonton coupled with teammate Helio Castroneves’ second-place start marked the second consecutive front row sweep for the Team, its 50th in its history and the 14th since joining the Indy Racing League.
- Briscoe is currently in fifth place in the IndyCar Series Championship point standings with 324 points.
- Last month at Mid-Ohio, Briscoe started second and led twice for a race-high 43 laps on his way to his second career IndyCar Series victory. His win, coupled with Castroneves’ second-place finish marked Team Penske’s eighth 1-2 finish in IndyCar Series competition and 35th in its open-wheel history.
- This year in Watkins Glen, Briscoe earned his second career IndyCar Series pole; and led a race-high 37 laps before getting. caught up in an incident when the #9 car (Scott Dixon) spun in front of him during a caution period and forced him into the pits to repair damage to his front wing. He finished 12th.
- Earlier this season in Milwaukee, Briscoe earned his first IndyCar Series victory and Penske Racing's historic 300th win, after starting 11th and leading twice for a total of 36 laps.
- In St. Petersburg this past April, Briscoe started fifth and led his first laps (11) behind the wheel of the No. 6 Team Penske Dallara/Honda.
- In the 32 IndyCar Series events Briscoe has driven to date, he’s earned two wins (Milwaukee and Mid-Ohio – 2008), three poles (Edmonton and Watkins Glen – 2008; Sonoma – 2005), five top-five finishes (Watkins Glen – 2006; Indianapolis – 2007; Milwaukee , Texas and Mid-Ohio- 2008), thirteen top-ten finishes and started in the top-ten seventeen times.
Team Penske at Kentucky Speedway:
- In the six years (twelve starts) Team Penske has competed at Kentucky Speedway, the Team has started in the top-five seven times and in the top-ten in all but two appearances at the track. In addition, the Team has earned eight top-ten finishes, including the Team’s first victory in The Bluegrass State when Hornish Jr. earned his fourth win of the 2006 season.
Briscoe on the Meijer Indy 300:
“This will be my second visit to Kentucky Speedway, but it will be my first time racing at night there. The track is a lot like the other 1 1/2-mile ovals we’ve run on this year, and we’ve been able to run consistently with the leaders, so I’m optimistic that we’ll be able to do the same again.
"Team Penske has been working very hard on the car set-up on these tracks, and we seem to be making gains each race, so hopefully we’ll be able to reach the next level and find ourselves in Victory Lane in Kentucky.”
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2014 Team Penske. All rights reserved.