Team Penske History 300 Race Preview
May 20, 2014
History 300 at Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5mile speedway, Concord, NC)
Saturday, May 24, 2:30 pm ET
The No. 22 Discount Tire Ford Mustang
Driver: Brad Keselowski
THE NEWS AND NOTES
· STOUT START TO THE SEASON: Brad Keselowski has made just three NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) starts in 2014 and he has finished in the top-three in each of them. He was the runner-up at Daytona, finished third at Phoenix and was the winner at Las Vegas.
· CONTENDING AGAIN: Once again, the No. 22 Discount Tire team is contending for a NNS owners’ title. After the first 10 races, they are second in owner points and trail the No. 54 from Joe Gibbs Racing by 43 markers.
· SHARING THE HOT SEAT: Keselowski, who is making his fourth NNS start of the season, has been sharing the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford with Joey Logano and Ryan Blaney. As a comparison, Keselowski already had seven NNS starts through this time last season.
· SEVEN-YEAR STREAK: Keselowski has won at least one NNS race for seven-consecutive seasons dating back to 2008. The 2010 NASCAR Nationwide Series Champion has 28 victories to his credit, which places him tied for sixth with Matt Kenseth on the all-time win list.
· HOMETOWN HERO: Crew chief Jeremy Bullins hails from nearby Walnut Creek, NC. It was here at Charlotte in 2012 that Bullins scored his first win as a NNS crew chief with Keselowski behind the wheel.
THE Q & A
BRAD KESELOWSKI, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD
IT’S BEEN AWHILE SINCE YOU’VE RACED AT CHARLOTTE IN NATIONWIDE. ARE YOU EXCITED TO BE BACK?
“That’s correct, I’ve not raced the Charlotte Nationwide event since 2012 and I’ve been out of this car since Las Vegas of this year. We started strong over the first three races of the year and I know that this No. 22 team has been running well with Ryan and Joey, so I am ready to get back in and do my part this weekend.”
JEREMY BULLINS, CREW CHIEF, NO. 22 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD MUSTANG
CHARLOTTE IS THE SITE OF YOUR FIRST WIN AS A CREW CHIEF AND IT WAS WITH BRAD, DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT AS YOU PREPARE FOR THIS WEEKEND?
“Obviously getting our first win as a team after joining Team Penske as a crew chief in 2012 was a special day for us. A win a Charlotte means just a little bit more because we usually have a lot of friends and family at the track. Plus winning on Memorial Day weekend and seeing Brad celebrate with the American flag in the Discount Tire Mustang was an added bonus that we’d like to see again. We always enjoy racing at our home track and look forward to a good race.”