Hornish Relegated to 34th-Place Finish at Indianapolis
July 28, 2013
The Indiana 250 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.5 mile speedway, Speedway, Ind.)
July 27, 2013
The No. 12 Wurth Ford Mustang
Driven By: Sam Hornish Jr.
Start Position: 2
Finish Position: 34
Current Driver's Points Position: 4
THE RACE REVIEW
· Sam Hornish Jr. began the race from the outside of the front row after qualifying in the second position during the afternoon time trials.
· As the race began, Hornish was forced to the outside and fell back to the fourth position.
· Over the opening segment of the race Hornish reported that his Wurth Mustang was a little tight on corner exit.
· At lap four, the Penske Ford picked up a piece of debris on the grille which caused the engine water temperature to increase.
· While battling with a tight handling condition, Hornish managed to turn multiple fast laps over the first 50 laps of the race.
· At lap 59, Hornish reported that the engine water temperature had shot up to 295 degrees. He pitted at lap 61 to address the temperature issue.
· It was determined that grass clogged the radiator and ultimately caused the engine to overheat, ending the day for the No. 12 machine.
· With the result Hornish and the No. 12 Penske Ford team dropped to fourth in the series standings - 14 points out of first place.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
TOUGH WAY TO END THE DAY, WHAT HAPPENED?
“Yeah that was a tough way to for the day to end. We picked up some grass on a restart and the water temp just took off. We came into the pits to get some water back into it and I am not sure if it was too hot or what happened but when we when back out the engine gave up. It is unfortunate for the Wurth Ford as our Mustang was fast. We were fighting a tight condition but we were holding our own in the top four. Now we have to see what we can learn from this and move forward.” - Sam Hornish Jr.