Logano Conquers the Monster Mile at Dover
June 3, 2013
5-Hour Energy 200 at Dover International Speedway (1-mile speedway, Dover, Del.)
June 1, 2013
The No. 22 Hertz Ford Mustang
Start Position: 6
Finish Position: 1
Owner Points Position: 3
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano qualified the No. 22 Hertz Ford Mustang in the sixth position for Saturday afternoon’s race at Dover International Speedway.
· Over the first 30 laps, Logano moved his way from sixth to third, fighting a car that was loose on corner entry and tight in the center.
· Following the second round of pit stops, Logano took the lead for the first time on lap 53 after a solid stop by the No. 22 Hertz team. Logano led the next 29 laps.
· The race turned into a pit strategy event. Logano continued to run up front, but often fell behind other cars that were taking two tires when Logano and crew chief Jeremy Bullins called for four.
· The rest of the afternoon, Logano never ran worse than third.
· Logano came into the pits third on lap 163. A quick call by Bullins to take two tires got the No. 22 Ford out first.
· When the green flew, Logano was able to pull away from the field, leading the final 37 laps en route to his first NASCAR Nationwide Series victory of the season.
· The win, Logano’s 19th-career Nationwide Series triumph, was his third-straight at Dover. Logano won both races at the “Monster Mile” last season.
· The win was also Logano’s first at Penske Racing and first behind the wheel of a Ford Mustang. It was also Ford Racing’s 199th NASCAR Nationwide Series victory.
· With the win, Logano moved the No. 22 car within eight points of second-place in the NASCAR Nationwide Series Owner’s Point standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
HOW DOES IT FEEL TO FINALLY WIN AGAIN?
“It feels great. I want to say I wish it wouldn’t have taken this long, but this is just our fourth race of the season and we’ve been able to finish in the top-five every race so far. But it’s pretty awesome to get another win here and to get my first win racing for Roger Penske. All you have to do it look at the list of drivers that have won driving for Roger and to know that your name is on that list now is pretty amazing. Then to have Hertz on board with us and win in their first race on the car is pretty awesome as well. It just doesn’t get much better than that. Three in a row at Dover is a pretty amazing accomplishment.”
HOW KEY WAS THAT LAST PIT STOP?
“It was everything. I didn’t really know we were going to do two tires until Jeremy (Bullins, crew chief) told me to go over the radio. But he knew what he was doing. He knew if we got out first and enough other guys had two tires, we had a shot. I don’t know if we had the best car here, but we had one of the two best cars for sure. But you have to take them how you get them. We put ourselves in position to win the race and that’s what we did. I’m really happy for Hertz, Penske and all of the guys on the team. Now we need to use the momentum and get our second next week.”