Keselowski Finishes 23rd in Sunday's Battle in Fontana
March 25, 2013
The Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway (two-mile speedway, Fontana, Calif.) – March 24, 2013
The No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion
Start Position: 3
Finish Position: 23
Current Championship Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion team qualified third for the event with a lap of 38.472 seconds around the two-mile oval. However, the team had to move to the rear of the field at the start of the race for changing engines prior to qualifying.
· Keselowski wasted little time in maneuvering his way through the field after the green flag flew on Sunday. By Lap 15 he was scored in the 15th position.
· The speed shown by the Miller Lite Ford Mustang early in the race was hampered when Keselowski made slight contact with the outside wall after fluid from another car coated the track on lap 37. As a result, the handling of the No. 2 tightened up.
· While entering pit road at lap 92, Keselowski was issued a speeding violation that forced him to the rear of the field again when the race resumed on lap 96.
· Following a two-tire pit stop at lap 132, Keselowski finally had the track position he needed to take advantage of the clean air. As a result, he was able to maintain a presence inside the top-10 cars until the final few laps.
· While running in the fifth position late in the race, the Miller Lite Ford began to overheat. Keselowski nursed the car to the finish line in 23rd place. With the result, he’s now second in the series standings after five races.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
“I think we went from the back to the front three times today, which really showed the speed we had in the Miller Lite Ford. We aren’t sure yet what caused the overheating issue, but we almost made the entire race with it running hot. These Roush-Yates motors are incredible and they showed it today. Joey (Logano) had the same problem so it has to be a related issue. We’re still in a good points position after a tough day, though.” – Brad Keselowski summarizes his day at Auto Club Speedway.
“Really proud of the effort the guys on the Miller Lite Ford team have put in to start the season. I would’ve liked to have kept the points lead heading into the Easter break, but that doesn’t overshadow the great start we’ve had. Some of my best tracks are coming up soon. If we can continue to build cars as fast as we have for the first five races of the season, I’m confident we’ll win our share of them soon.” – Brad Keselowski on the team’s strong start to the 2013 season.