No. 12 PPG Automotive Refinish Dodge - Zippo at The Glen
August 7, 2012
• Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the No. 12 PPG Automotive Refinish Dodge Challenger, will make his 21st start of the 2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) season Saturday afternoon in The Zippo 200 at The Glen
• This weekend the No. 12 Penske Dodge will feature PPG Automotive Refinish. As the world's leading supplier of automotive, industrial and architectural finishes, PPG is one of the only companies that can supply any type of coating needed for a vehicle body. PPG's long history of innovation in transportation coatings spans some eight decades, back to 1928 when it purchased Ditzler, Inc.-the leading OEM supplier of paints for automobiles at the time
• This will mark Hornish's second Nationwide Series start at Watkins Glen - he has three NASCAR Sprint Cup and three IZOD IndyCar Series starts at the historic road course as well
• Hornish will be doing double-duty this weekend driving in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race and in the Nationwide Series races at Watkins Glen
• Hornish has 53 NNS starts. He has scored one victory, eight top-five and 19 top-10 finishes
• After 20 races Hornish and the PPG Automotive Refinish Dodge team are fourth in the NNS Championship point standings.
• This weekend the No. 12 PPG Automotive Refinish Dodge Challenger will race with chassis PRS-217 which will see its first competition of the year
• Local talent - Crew chief Chad Walter is from Albion, NY
• Consistency has been a key for Hornish this season as he has completed 3568 of 3570 laps thus far (99.9%)
• Fun fact - Sam would like to try acting at some point in the future - he thinks he would play a good creepy guy
• Penske Racing has 361 all-time race victories with 100 NASCAR wins and 420 pole positions overall including 126 NASCAR poles
• Follow Hornish at @PenskeRacing, @SamHornish, www.penskeracing.com, www.samhornish.com and the Penske Racing Facebook page - www.facebook.com/penskeracing and www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-Hornish-Jr
• #PenskePride - each race weekend fans will have the opportunity to Tweet @PenskeRacing pictures showing their support of the Penske Racing organization, their favorite Penske Racing driver(s) or teams in unique and creative ways, using the hashtag #PenskePride. The best weekly photo will be named Fan Photo of the Week. At the end of each month, a Fan Photo of the Month will be selected from the weekly winners. The best monthly photos will be voted on by @PenskeRacing followers to be named Fan Photo of the Year. The winner of Photo of the Year will receive the Ultimate Penske Racing Fan Experience including tickets and hot passes to the 2013 NASCAR All-Star Race, autographed items and a tour of the Penske Racing facility with a Penske driver
Sam Hornish Jr. comments about this weekend's The Zippo 200 at The Glen
"Watkins Glen is a great track and our PPG Automotive Refinish Dodge Challenger has been very strong on the road courses so we feel very good about this race. We are coming off of two consecutive top-three finishes and as our momentum is building so is our confidence. It seems like the No. 12 Penske Dodge team is getting stronger every week and we are working hard to continue that trend."
Crew Chief Chad Walter comments about this weekend's The Zippo 200 at The Glen
"Sam and I both look forward to the road courses as they bring challenges that suit our team. The PPG paint scheme has a retro feel to it, and I think it's going to look pretty special at the historic Watkins Glen race track. Driver ability and input are in many ways more prevalent at the road courses which we feel plays in our favor. We've worked hard this season and with any luck the results will continue for the No. 12 Penske Dodge team at Watkins Glen."