No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Preview - U.S. Cellular 250
August 1, 2012
No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger News and Notes
• This Week's Challenger... Ryan Blaney and the Penske Racing Discount Tire Dodge Challenger team will use chassis PRS-222 during Saturday's U.S. Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway. This chassis previously raced earlier this year at both Fontana and Michigan.
• The No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger in 2012... Following 19 points-paying events, the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge team sits sixth in the NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) owner point standings following a win at Indianapolis Motor Speedway last weekend with Brad Keselowski behind the wheel - the first NASCAR victory at the famed Brickyard for Penske Racing
• Fresh face of Penske Racing... This weekend will mark Blaney's first of three scheduled weekends racing the No. 22 Dodge Challenger with Penske Racing. Blaney comes from a long line of racing heritage, following in the footsteps of his father, Dave Blaney, the former World of Outlaws champion and current NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver. Ryan has been hailed as one of NASCAR's most promising rising stars and he is a welcome addition to the Penske Racing fleet of drivers.
• A Family Tradition... The history behind the No. 22 is deeply rooted within the Blaney family. Not many father-son duos can say that they have raced the same car number, but after this weekend Dave and Ryan Blaney will be able to claim that honor. Dave made a record 104 starts in the No. 22 for Bill Davis Racing until Penske acquired the number at the end of the 2009 season. At Iowa, Ryan will add to the Blaney tradition and proudly carry on the history of the No. 22 within the family.
• Double Duty weekend... Not only will Blaney be making his NNS debut with Penske Racing, he will also participate in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series race on Friday night. As part of NASCAR's Next 9 program, which highlights the young, rising stars of the industry, Blaney has made a total of six starts in the series with one victory at Phoenix in 2011.
• Back in Iowa... Blaney has made two K&N Pro Series starts at Iowa Speedway. He earned two top-five starting spots at the venue last season and earlier this year. In the May race, he claimed a runner-up finish in the series race at Iowa.
• Out and about the track... Blaney will participate in the Nationwide Series autograph session on Saturday, August 4 from 1:45 - 2:30 pm on the Iowa Speedway concourse.
• #PenskePride...Penske Racing is asking fans to show their Penske Pride through a unique social media contest that will last for the balance of the 2012 season. Through the #PenskePride contest, each race weekend fans will Tweet @PenskeRacing pictures showing their support of the Penske Racing organization, their favorite Penske Racing driver(s) or teams in unique and creative ways, using the hashtag #PenskePride. The best weekly photo will be named Fan Photo of the Week. At the end of each month, a Fan Photo of the Month will be selected from the weekly winners. The best monthly photos will be voted on by @PenskeRacing followers to be named Fan Photo of the Year. The winner of Photo of the Year will receive the Ultimate Penske Racing Fan Experience including tickets and hot passes to the 2013 NASCAR All-Star Race, autographed items and a tour of the Penske Racing facility with a Penske driver.