No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger Preview-Wypall 200
November 9, 2011
No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger
Phoenix International Raceway
November 12, 2011
TV: ESPN2 at 3:30 PM ET Radio: MRN/Sirius 90 at 3:00 PM ET
No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger News and Notes
• This Week’s Challenger… Brad Keselowski and the Penske Racing Discount Tire Dodge Challenger team will use chassis PRS-221 during Saturday’s Wypall 200 at Phoenix International Raceway (PIR). Keselowski last drove this chassis to a second-place finish at Dover International Speedway last month
• The No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger in 2011... After 32 events, Keselowski and the reigning NNS champion No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger team are ranked sixth in the 2011 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) owner point standings. The team is coming off a fifth-place finish in the O’Reilly Auto Parts Challenge last week at Texas Motor Speedway.
• Keselowski Climbing the Charts… By taking the checkered flag in last month’s Kansas Lottery 300 at Kansas Speedway, Keselowski entered into a tie for 15th place with Jeff Green and Joe Nemechek on the NNS all-time wins list with 16 victories. Keselowski is now four wins away from tying Greg Biffle for 14th place on the all-time list.
• “Home” Field Advantage… Team sponsor, Discount Tire, is headquartered in nearby Scottsdale, Ariz. Employees of the corporation will make up a large contingent of Keselowski fans on Saturday afternoon.
• Keselowski Speedway Stats… In 99 speedway starts in the Nationwide Series, Keselowski has accumulated eight wins, 43 top-five finishes, 62 top-10 results and five pole awards. In addition, he has led the field for 1,577 laps at tracks between one and two miles in length.
• Follow Brad on Twitter… Fans can follow Keselowski on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/keselowski. Followers can get a glimpse inside his everyday life while keeping up-to-date on the latest Cup Series and Nationwide Series news for the Penske Racing driver.
• RubyTuesdayRacing.com… When Brad wins, you win. Visit www.rubytuesdayracing.com following any of his wins, either in the Cup Series or the Nationwide Series, to register for a delicious Ruby Tuesday hamburger of your choice, compliments of Ruby Tuesday and Brad.
Brad Keselowski on Phoenix International Raceway
“I’ve always looked forward to going out to PIR to race. I love the fact that Phoenix is its own unique venue and the community really embraces us twice a year. It’s been made even more unique with the new surface. We didn’t get a chance to test the Nationwide cars there yet, but I did take part in the Cup Series test there last month. They’ve built a great racetrack, one that will promote good racing once the surface ages a little. That process shouldn’t take long when the desert elements get a hold of it. We have a lot of support from Discount Tire and winning in their backyard would be a great way to show them how much we appreciate what they do for Penske Racing.”
Crew chief Todd Gordon on the new Phoenix International Raceway
“There are a lot of unknowns heading into this weekend’s race at Phoenix with the new surface and configuration. The test session on Thursday will be very important for us to get a feel of what we’re dealing with. We haven’t seen the track yet. The Cup guys had a test session last month and we were able to take a lot of information from those two teams to put together what we think is a good package for the Discount Tire Dodge. One thing is for sure, you will need to qualify well. Passing should be difficult over the first few races on the new surface so if you can start up front, you should be able to maintain your position.”