Sam Hornish Jr Texas Motor Speedway Preview
November 1, 2011
No. 12 Avis Dodge Team New and Notes
• Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the No. 12 Avis Dodge Challenger, will make his 11th start of the 2011 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) season Saturday afternoon in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Challenge at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS).
• This will mark Hornish's fourth Nationwide Series start at Texas. He has previously made six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) starts, one International Race of Champions (IROC) start and 13 IndyCar Series (ICS) starts at TMS
• Hornish has visited Victory Lane three times at TMS as an IndyCar driver (2007, 2002 and 2001).
• From 2006 to present, Hornish has made a total of 30 NNS starts. He has scored 11 top-15 finishes during that time and has also captured four top-5 and 10 top-10 starting positions while competing in a limited NNS schedule over the last five plus seasons.
• This weekend will mark the 10th race together for Hornish and crew chief, Chad Walter, who called the shots for the No. 12 Penske Racing Nationwide Series team in the past and helped guide the No. 12 team to a top-six championship finish in each of the last two seasons.
• In memory of fellow IndyCar driver, Dan Wheldon, Hornish has donated one of his 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup fire suits to the Dan Wheldon Memorial Auction. Please visit, www.danwheldonmemorial.com to make a donation and bid on items auctioned.
Sam Hornish Jr's comments on this weekend's O'Reilly Auto Parts Challenge
"I always love going to Texas. I was able to celebrate two of my IndyCar Championships there, as well as my last IndyCar race victory. This weekend is even more exciting because we are bringing Avis on board the No. 12 Penske Racing Dodge Challenger as a sponsor. I rent with Avis nearly every week and their service is great so I'm happy to have them as part of the team this weekend. The guys in the shop have been working hard over these last two off weeks to build me a great car so hopefully I can bring home a solid finish.
Crew Chief Chad Walter's comments on this weekend's O'Reilly Auto Parts Challenge
"We are looking forward to getting the Avis Dodge Challenger on track at Texas. This weekend should be very interesting, as Texas is known for its speed and ‘rough' track surface, both of which present challenges to the driver and the crew. Sam has enjoyed success here in the ISC and I think he is anxious to get back on the track after having the last two weekends off. The entire team is looking forward to having Avis on board this weekend and to build strong momentum going into the last three races of the 2011 Nationwide Series season."