No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Preview - U.S. Cellular 250
August 3, 2011
No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger
U.S. Cellular 250 presented by the Enlist Weed Control System
August 6, 2011
TV: ESPN2 at 7:30 PM ET Radio: MRN at 7:00 PM ET
No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger News and Notes
• This Week’s Challenger… The Penske Racing Discount Tire Dodge Challenger team will use chassis PRS-221 during Saturday’s U.S. Cellular 250 presented by the Enlist Weed Control System at Iowa Speedway. Keselowski drove this chassis to victory at Kentucky Speedway last month.
• The No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger in 2011... After 21 events, Brad Keselowski and the reigning champion No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger team are ranked sixth in the 2011 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) owner point standings. The team is coming off a win in the Kroger 200 last weekend at Lucas Oil Raceway.
• Streaking into August…The month of July was very good to Keselowski and the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge team. Two wins and two pole awards have given the team plenty of momentum as it looks to continue its solid production. Keselowski has picked up wins at two of the four tracks on the NNS schedule in the month of August, giving the team an excellent opportunity to maintain its winning ways.
• Personal Playground…Keselowski ranks Iowa Speedway among his favorite tracks and it’s easy to see why. He has competed in all three NNS events at the track and has never finished outside the top-four, including a win in the inaugural event in 2009. He has also completed all 750 laps of competition in those three events.
• Keselowski Short Track Stats… In 31 short track starts in the Nationwide Series, Keselowski has accumulated five wins, 15 top-five finishes, 20 top-10 results and two pole awards. In addition, he has led the field for 688 laps at tracks less than one mile in length.
• Rate Our Commercials… Fans can visit www.discounttiremotorsports.com to vote for their favorite commercial featuring Keselowski, driver of the Discount Tire Dodge Challenger. By doing so, fans can earn a chance to win $500.
• Follow Brad on Twitter… Fans can follow Keselowski on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/keselowski. Followers can get a glimpse inside his everyday life while keeping up-to-date on the latest Cup Series and Nationwide Series news for the Penske Racing driver.
Brad Keselowski on racing at Iowa Speedway
“Iowa Speedway is a great facility and a fun track to drive. The fans there are amazing and it creates a great atmosphere for racing. I’m really looking forward to getting back there because I think we’ve made enough improvements in our car that we can challenge for the win. We led a bunch of laps back in May, but we just didn’t have enough at the end. I really want another Iowa trophy.”
Brad Keselowski on last weekend’s win at Lucas Oil Raceway
“Last weekend was probably one of the most unexpected wins of my career. There was so much going on there at the end of the race that I was really relying on my spotter to keep me informed of what was happening. When the 31 car caught fire and had to pit,that moved us up to the front row and that was all I needed. Our car was great on the short run so I knew I could hang with the 6 car for the first few laps. He opened up the bottom and from there it was just hard-nosed, short track racing. There was a little contact, no question, but I didn’t view it as malicious. The fans got to see a great finish and I’m proud Ricky (Stenhouse, Jr.) and I were able to give it to them.”
Crew chief Todd Gordon on preparing a car for Iowa Speedway
“Iowa is very similar to Richmond in layout, but it’s just a little bigger. We’ve had top-five finishes at both Richmond and Iowa this season and I believe we have made improvements to our car since both of those races. Brad is very good on these types of tracks. They fit his driving style very well. It’s a multi-groove racetrack where you can really attack the corners. The key is maintaining good forward bite off of the turns. If we can do that I’m confident that Brad can win another race at Iowa.”