SAM HORNISH JR.
No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger
Homestead-Miami Speedway – Ford 400
November 21, 2010
Mobil 1 Team News and Notes
• Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger, will make his third-career Cup Series start at Homestead-Miami Speedway this weekend in the final race of the 2010 season. This year, Hornish has earned a total of one top-10, seven top-15 and 12 top-20 results with an average finish of 24.9 and a best finish of 10th (New Hampshire, September). Hornish has maintained an average starting position of 20.7 this year with a best start of second (Texas, April). Entering this weekend, Hornish has completed 9993 of 10511 possible laps in 2010, leading for a total of 50 circuits.
• Hornish has an impressive racing history at Homestead-Miami Speedway in IndyCar Series competition. The former three-time series champion produced a total of seven IndyCar starts at Homestead, as he captured three victories and six top-three finishes along with two pole positions. In the open-wheel ranks, Hornish posted an average starting spot of 3.9 at the 1.5-mile oval with an average finish of third, completing 1399 of a possible 1400 laps and he led a total of 461 circuits at Homestead.
• Hornish has 35 Cup Series starts at NASCAR intermediate tracks and he has scored a total of two top-10, three top-15 and nine top-20 finishes at venues measuring greater than one mile, but less than two miles, in length. Hornish has an average starting position of 22.2 at intermediate tracks with a best start of second, which came at Texas Motor Speedway (April, 2010). He has an average finish of 24.8 in intermediate-track competition with a top result of eighth coming at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (June, 2009).
• Hornish will mark his return to NASCAR Nationwide Series competition this weekend in the Ford 300 at Homestead-Miami Speedway in the No. 26 Alliance Parts Dodge Charger. Hornish last raced in the NNS Series in 2008, when he made a total of eight starts and earned a best start of eighth (Watkins Glen International) and a best finish of 11th (Darlington Raceway).
• Hornish will sign autographs at the Penske Racing souvenir trailer at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Sunday, November 21 from 9:45 – 10:15 a.m. EST.
Sam Hornish Jr. Quote
What are your thoughts about the final race of the season at Homestead-Miami Speedway?
“I like Homestead-Miami Speedway; it’s been one of my favorite places for many years. Unlike other intermediate venues that are tri-ovals, both ends of the track are exactly the same with two straightaways in between. The way you get into the corners at Homestead is unlike anywhere else. It’s a unique track and a great place to have the final race of the season.
“I like being in the race car, so I wish we had another 25 races this year. I feel that we're starting to turn the corner on some things and get back to where we need to be. Although, it will be nice to have a little break since my wife Crystal is pregnant and we are having another baby during the off-season. It will be good to be home for a while and spend time with my family. I look forward to seeing what next year has in store.”
Crew Chief Travis Geisler Quote
What are your thoughts on the final race of the season this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway?
“Homestead is always an exciting place to go each year, when the culmination of a season’s work takes place in one weekend. We would like to thank everyone from Mobil 1 that has worked so hard on our behalf and we wish them well. I would also like to thank everyone at Penske Racing for all the hard work this season. We hope to end the season on a high note and put the No. 77 at the top of the board.”