Information regarding Team Penske transporter incident
August 20, 2008
MOORESVILLE, NC (August 20, 2008) – Wednesday morning, while on the way to the IndyCar Series event at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., a Team Penske transporter caught on fire west of Cheyenne, Wyo. No one was hurt in the incident.
- The two Team Penske transporter drivers are not injured.
- The incident occurred in the early morning on Interstate 80, west of Cheyenne, Wyo.
- While driving, the Team Penske transporter containing the No. 3 and No. 6 primary race vehicles caught on fire.
- The fire began on the right side of the transporter with an apparent wheel bearing failure.
- The two drivers were able to pull over to the side of the road and were able to save the tractor.
- The fire was put out by a local fire department and the Penske Truck Leasing SOS program enabled the tractor and trailer to be towed to a nearby rest area.
- Although the full extent of the damage has not been determined, the lower level of the transporter, containing crewmember uniforms and a variety of equipment was destroyed.
- The condition of the No. 3 and No. 6 Team Penske Dallara/Hondas has not been determined as of yet, but it is known that they suffered from extensive water, smoke and heat damage.
- Due to the damage to the transporter, it will remain in Wyoming for further inspection and assessment of the damage, including any potential damage to the race cars. After that assessment, all of the equipment will be taken back to Penske Racing in Mooresville, N.C.
- Team Penske will race this weekend at Infineon Raceway, using the No. 6 Team Penske Dallara/Honda that took part in the Aug. 14th test at that track, as well as a backup No. 3 Team Penske Dallara/Honda. Those vehicles, plus the second Team Penske transporter, were left at the track for the week prior to the race. The crew will arrive Thursday, Aug. 21 to convert those No. 3 and No. 6 machines to “primary” status.
- Two additional Team Penske Dallara/Hondas, plus additional equipment and team uniforms, left Penske Racing’s shops on Wednesday afternoon for arrival at Infineon Raceway sometime on Friday, August 22nd.