Ryan Briscoe - Iowa Speedway IndyCar Series Preview
June 19, 2008
Photo courtesy IMS Photo.
- Briscoe will be making his first start at Iowa Speedway on Sunday.
Two weeks ago in Texas, Briscoe started and finished third marking his second consecutive top-three finish; he also led twice for a total of 12 laps bringing his season total of laps led to 59.
- Briscoe is currently in fifth place in the Championship point standings with 169 points, 35 points out of fourth place.
- Earlier this month in Milwaukee, Briscoe earned his first IndyCar Series victory after starting 11th and leading twice for a total of 47 laps.
- In the 26 IndyCar Series events Briscoe has driven to date, he’s earned one win (Milwaukee – 2008), one pole (Sonoma – 2005), four top-five finishes (Watkins Glen – 2006; Indianapolis – 2007; Milwaukee and Texas - 2008), ten top-10 finishes and started in the top-10 twelve times.
Penske Racing on Short Ovals:
- Team Penske has earned 25 of its 135 Indy car race wins (19%) on tracks that are a distance of 1-mile or shorter, including a victory at Milwaukee earlier this season.
- Team Penske has won five of the last ten, and eight of the last 23 IndyCar Series events on short ovals.
Did You Know?
- Briscoe’s win in Milwaukee was Penske Racing’s 300th major race win since Roger Penske became a full-time team owner in 1966. Of the 300 Penske Racing wins, 76 came in stock cars, 135 in Indy cars, 22 in ALMS, 30 in SCCA Trans-Am, 15 in Can-Am and one in Formula One, with the remainder made up of victories in FIA Endurance, F5000 and USRRC competition, among others.
Briscoe on the Iowa Corn Indy 250:
“I’m really excited to head to Iowa – it looks like a fun track. It’s a fast, high-banked short oval, so the racing will be similar to running on a superspeedway, but we’ll be turning on a very tight radius. I think it’s going to be one of the more physically and mentally demanding events this season and I’m certainly looking forward to the challenge.”