Strong Second-Place Effort for Hornish at Watkins Glen
August 11, 2013
ZIPPO 200 at Watkins Glen International
August 10, 2013
The No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Ford
Driven By Sam Hornish Jr.
Start Position: 1
Finish Position: 2
Current Driver's Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
The No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Ford Mustang
· Hornish started the race from the pole position after earning his second-consecutive pole at Watkins Glen International. The track-record effort marked his second pole of the 2013 season (Chicagoland) and his third career Nationwide Series pole.
· As the race began the Penske Truck Rental machine took the green flag leading the field into the first turn.
· Hornish reported that his Ford Mustang was a little too free early in the race while leading the first 15 laps.
· The No. 12 Penske Ford made its first stop of the race under a caution period at lap 18. During the stop the crew made adjustments to the Mustang while filling it with fuel and changing four tires.
· The Defiance, Ohio native would run consistently in the top-three for the majority of the race as the three Penske Racing Ford Mustangs ran 1-2-3.
· Over the last 21 laps Hornish battled teammates Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski as they continued to run 1-2-3, with Hornish scored third. At lap 66 Hornish took over the second spot trailing Keselowski.
· Hornish would close to within striking distance several times during the closing laps of the 82-lap event, but could not quite manage to overtake Keselowski and he would settle for a second-place finish.
· This is the fifth time Hornish and the No. 12 team have scored a runner-up finish.
· With the result, Hornish and the Penske Truck Rental Ford team gained one position in the championship battle, now occupying the second spot, just 3 points out of first place in the series standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
SAM HORNISH JR.
WERE YOU MISSING SOMETHING BETWEEN SECOND AND FIRST?
“I was driving the crap out of the car trying to pressure Brad into making a mistake and I got him to get into turn one hard a couple times and just wore my stuff out trying do everything I could to figure out how to keep with him and keep pressuring him. It was a real good day for our Penske Truck Rental Ford Mustang. The guys did a great job and gave me a great car. We’re looking forward to getting to Mid-Ohio next weekend, but most importantly getting home tonight to see my girls. It was a great day for Penske Racing to score another 1-2 finish. I feel good to come out here and have a good run. Third last year, second this year, maybe we’ll get us a win next year.”
YOU’RE DOWN THREE IN THE POINTS: “With about five laps to go I had to have a little bit of a gut-check on what was more important, winning the race or getting some points. I did everything I could do to try to pressure Brad and to make it a great race for the fans and I wore my stuff out trying to keep with him. I got to the point where I about spun twice trying to pressure him and trying to figure out a way to get around him. I just decided it would be a little bit better to get the points, and I’m just happy because our Penske Truck Rental Ford Mustang was really good today. We’ve qualified on the pole the last two years here. We finished third last year, second this year, so maybe we’ll come back next year and figure out how to win one.”