Joey Logano Fights His Way to a Third-Place Finish
March 25, 2013
The Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway (two-mile speedway, Fontana, Calif.) – March 24, 2013
The No. 22 Auto Club of Southern California Ford Fusion
Start Position: 6
Finish Position: 3
Current Championship Position: 9
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano and the No. 22 Auto Club of Southern California Ford Fusion started the race in the sixth position for Sunday’s Auto Club 400.
· Early on, Logano proved to have one of the fastest cars on the track, as he moved into the top three and secured the lead for the first time on lap 44.
· All afternoon long, the Auto Club Ford was one of the top-three cars on the track. Logano led the race on three different occasions for a total of 41 laps, the second most of any driver in the race.
· Logano took the lead late in the race and held it until the white flag waved. Racing side-by-side with the No. 11 machine driven by Denny Hamlin, the two cars made contact in turns three and four. Logano hit the outside wall following the contact but the No. 22 Auto Club Ford Fusion was able to cross the finish line in third place.
· With his top result of the season to date, Logano improved to 9th in the series standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
“I think our Auto Club Ford was very strong all day. I was very happy with the car we had. We were super fast (and) led a lot of laps. Nothing to hang our head down about, that's for sure. We were very proud of that. Doug Yates, thank you so much for the motor. That thing ran the last seven, eight laps with no water in it, just pushing water over 300-degrees. So it's really amazing for those guys. So thank you guys – everyone in the engine shop to get a solid run out here today. I look forward to (getting) back to the race track and try it again.” – Joey Logano on the car’s performance, especially late in the race.
“I’m really proud of my team. They have given me great cars all year long. Today, we finally got to show what kind of cars they have been giving me. We were up front, leading laps and showing how good this No. 22 Ford is. Once again today, my team showed they have my back and that will only make us better going forward.”- Joey Logano on the strong run all afternoon long.